December 20, 2019
Cabinet Decision was made concerning Japan’s application for registration of the 2025 World Exposition in Japan, abbreviated as the “Expo 2025 Osaka, Kansai,” at the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE). In response, Japan will submit the application for registration to the BIE by the end of 2019.
Under Article 6 of the the Convention relating to International Exhibitions (hereinafter referred to as the “BIE Convention"), Japan, as the host country of the Expo 2025 Osaka, Kansai, is required to submit an application for registration of the exposition to the BIE in order to hold the exposition.
This Application for registration should be approved by the cabinet before submitting it to the BIE since the government of Japan is obliged to take responsibility for the exposition as the host country once the request is approved at the BIE General Assembly.
2. Details of the Cabinet Decision
The details of the Cabinet Decision are as follows.
- Under Article 6 of the BIE Convention, Japan should submit an application for registration of the Expo 2025 Osaka, Kansai, to the BIE.
- The period of the Expo 2025 Osaka, Kansai, should be from April 13 (Sun.) to October 13 (Mon.), 2025.
- Under the provisions stipulated in the BIE Convention, the government of Japan should take necessary measures in order to satisfy the obligations required of the host country of the registered exposition.
3. Future schedule
- By the end of 2019: Submitting the Registration Dossier to the BIE
- June 2020: BIE General Assembly (Japan aims to have its request for registration be approved at this occasion.)
- From October 2020 to April 2021: The Expo 2020 Dubai (Japan will start a full-fledged call for attracting participating countries in the Expo 2025 Osaka, Kansai, taking this opportunity.)
- April 2025: Opening the Expo 2025 Osaka, Kansai
Division in Charge
International Exhibitions Promotion Office, Commerce and Service Industry Policy Group