METI Conducts a Questionnaire Survey for Fund Management Organizations on ESG Investment
95% of the respondents utilize ESG information in making investment decisions, etc.
December 24, 2019
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) conducted the “Questionnaire Survey for Fund Management Organizations on ESG Investment,” and surveyed and compiled the efforts and trends of ESG investment, etc. by investors.
1. ESG investment
(1) Utilization of ESG information in making investment decisions
- Among the fund management organizations who answered the questionnaire (48 companies/total amount of funds: 3,988 trillion yen), more than 95% utilize ESG (environment, society and governance) information in making investment decisions.
(2) Utilization of TCFD
Upon the utilization of ESG information, 93.8% of fund management organizations place emphasis on TCFD (Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures) (others place emphasis on PRI [principles for responsible investment by UN] and SDGs).
The number of organizations agreeing with TCFD in Japan is the largest in the world, and about 40% of fund management organizations also appreciate it. However, further increase in the number of agreeing organizations, disclosure, and improvement of disclosure details are also required.
2. Utilization of the Green Investment Guidance
The Guidance for Utilizing Climate-related Information to Promote Green Investment (Green Investment Guidance), formulated by the TCFD Consortium on October 8, 2019, and publicized at the TCFD Summit, is well recognized among fund management organizations (approx., 98%), and about 60% of fund management organizations are considering its utilization. Specifically, it is assumed to be utilized in engagement (dialogue with companies), corporate analysis, raising awareness of TCFD in and outside the company, etc.
The TCFD Consortium is recruiting “GIG Supporters” among investors who agree with the purport of the Guidance and actually utilize or consider the utilization of it, in order to diffuse the Green Investment Guidance for the promotion of green investment.
(Reference) GIG Supporters
GIG Supporters is an initiative to show actual case examples of utilizing the Green Investment Guidance on the TCFD Consortium website for the further diffusion and expansion of the Guidance. Please refer to the related document ”GIG Supporters” and the TCFD Consortium website shown below for further details.
- We Call for Case Examples of the Utilization of Green Investment Guidance (GIG Supporters). (TCFD Consortium website) (in Japanese)
Please also refer to the documents below for the details of this survey.
- ”Result of Questionnaire Survey for Fund Management Organizations on ESG Investment” (in Japanese)(PDF:500KB)
- Result of Questionnaire Survey for Fund Management Organizations on ESG Investment (in Japanese) (PDF:500KB)
- GIG Supporters (in Japanese)(PDF:312KB)
Links to Related Information
- The Inaugural TCFD Summit Held in Japan (METI News Release, October 10)
- TCFD Consortium site (in Japanese)
- We Call for Case Examples of the Utilization of Green Investment Guidance (GIG Supporters). (in Japanese)
Division in Charge
Environmental Economy Office, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau