January 8, 2020
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) will hold a series of experience-based test-drive events for safety support cars in eight locations across Japan.
- METI is engaged in efforts to facilitate the popularization of safety support cars in which a collision damage mitigation braking system or an acceleration control system which responds to driver errors in use of the acceleration pedal is installed.
- As one of these efforts, METI will hold a series of experience-based test-drive events for safety support cars in eight driver’s license issuing centers, locations, ranging from the Hokkaido region to the Kyushu region, aiming to raise awareness among more elderly persons of the capabilities of the respective devices installed in safety support cars, how to use them and other advantages thereof.
- METI will also upload video clips of the events and messages from participants to the Safety Support Car portal website and by other means in order to raise awareness of safety support cars among a wide variety of people in addition to the direct participants in the events.
2. Sites and dates of the events
- Sites of the events: Eight driving licensing centers, in Hokkaido Prefecture, Miyagi Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Aichi Prefecture, Osaka Prefecture, Kagawa Prefecture, Hiroshima Prefecture and Fukuoka Prefecture
- Dates of the events: Weekends from mid-January to mid-February 2020
- METI will release the details of these sites and dates on the Safety Support Car portal website soon after they are decided.
3. Points to be noted
- These events may be cancelled due to bad weather conditions, such as rain and snow. METI will post an advance cancellation notice on the Safety Support Car portal website if it will be cancelled. Please visit the website before traveling to an event to confirm that it is being held.
- The manufacturers and other organizations that will participate by providing test drive opportunities for safety support cars and showcase such cars vary among the different event sites. METI will release the details of these manufacturers on the website soon after they are decided.
- METI opens a call for participating manufacturers and other organizations to provide test drive opportunities of safety support cars and showcase related technologies at the events. To participate in any of these events, please contact the METI division in charge listed below.
- Collision mitigation braking systems and other advanced safety technologies are primarily installed in safety support cars to support drivers in driving cars safely. However, in some conditions, such technologies may not function. METI urges all drivers of these vehicles to learn about the capabilities of such cars, how to use them and their other advantages in depth and to maintain vigilance in practicing safe driving.
Division in Charge
ITS and Autonomous Driving Promotion Office, Automobile Division, Manufacturing Industries Bureau, METI