January 10, 2020
From January 9 (Thur.) to 11 (Sat.), 2020, Mr. Kajiyara Hiroshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, visited Australia to attend the Second Japan-Australia Economic Ministerial Dialogue. Taking this opportunity, Minister Kajiyama signed a Joint Statement on Cooperation on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells between the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, Australia, witnessed a signing ceremony involving a memorandum of understanding of bilateral cooperation between the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) and the Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade), and held a bilateral meeting with H.E. Mr. Matt Canavan, Minister for Resources and Northern Australia.
1. Japan-Australia Economic Ministerial Dialogue
The Japan-Australia Economic Ministerial Dialogue is a series of minister-level dialogues, which was jointly established by METI and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australia, aiming to hold discussions on strategic economic issues between Japan and Australia.
On January 10, 2020, Minister Kajiyama and H.E. Mr. Simon Birmingham, Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Australia, held the Second Japan-Australia Economic Ministerial Dialogue. This dialogue also brought together Minister Canavan. Following the dialogue, the ministers issued a joint statement on the outcomes of the dialogue.
At the dialogue, the two sides exchanged views on the promotion of rules-based multilateral trading system, challenges in the Indo-Pacific region (e.g., cooperation in infrastructure), and other issues. In addition, at the dialogue, they covered the issue of energy and resources as a subject of discussion for the first time. The ministers exchanged views on a wide variety of fields, including hydrogen, carbon recycling, and critical minerals, in which Japan and Australia have been advancing cooperation.
2. Signing a Joint Statement on Cooperation on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells and witnessing a signing ceremony involving a memorandum of understanding of bilateral cooperation between JETRO and Austrade
Minister Kajiyama and Minister Canavan signed a Joint Statement on Cooperation on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells, aiming to confirm the intention of both Japan and Australia concerning cooperation toward dissemination of hydrogen as a clean and sustainable energy resource and cooperation toward the success of the Japan-Australia Hydrogen Energy Supply Chain project.
Moreover, the ministers witnessed a signing ceremony involving a memorandum of understanding of bilateral cooperation between JETRO and Austrade, the organizations engaging in the promotion of trade and investment in Japan and Australia.
- Joint Statement on Cooperation on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells
- Signing ceremony of an MOU between JETRO and Austrade
3. Bilateral meeting and other occasion
Minister Kajiyama held a bilateral meeting with Minister Canavan and the two sides confirmed that Japan and Australia will continue the cooperative relationship in the field of LNG, and held discussions on future cooperation in the fields of hydrogen and critical minerals. In addition, Minister Kajiyama received a courtesy call by H.E. Mr. Tim Pallas, Treasurer, Parliament of Victoria.
- Bilateral meeting with Minister Cannavan
- Courtesy call by Treasurer Pallas
4. Visiting the Technology Laboratory of Monash University
Minister Kajiyama and Minister Birmingham jointly visited the Technology Laboratory of Monash University and received explanations on research for hydrogen and ammonia as next-generation energy.
- Joint Statement of Japan-Australia Economic Ministerial Dialogue (PDF:87KB)
- Joint Statement on Cooperation on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells (PDF:103KB)
Division in Charge
- Asia and Pacific Division, Trade Policy Bureau
- International Affairs Division, Commissioner’s Secretariat, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy