Announcement of the FY2019 Nadeshiko Brands and Semi-Nadeshiko Brands
-METI selected 66 listed enterprises as Nadeshiko-related Brands for their outstanding efforts in encouraging women's success!-
March 3, 2020
*This press release was revised on April 6, 2020.
The number of Semi-Nadeshiko Brands enterprises was changed from 20 to 19, because one enterprise was ultimately excluded from the selection scheme.
On March 3, 2020, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE) jointly selected and publicized 46 TSE-listed enterprises that are outstanding in terms of encouraging women’s success in the workplace and granted them the Nadeshiko Brand designation by industry.
Moreover, METI and the TSE selected 19 semi-successful enterprises as Semi-Nadeshiko Brands, regardless of the industry to which they belong
1. Outline of the Nadeshiko Brands
The Nadeshiko Brand is an initiative aiming to introduce certain TSE-listed enterprises that are outstanding in terms of encouraging women’s success in the workplace as attractive stocks to investors who place emphasis on improving corporate value in the mid- and long-term, thereby further enhancing the interests of investors in such outstanding enterprises and accelerating efforts to encourage women’s success in the workplace.
METI and the TSE assessed approximately 3,600 enterprises listed in all TSE sections by scoring them based on their efforts to advance diversity management to improve corporate value and the level of information disclosures concerning the efforts. Following this, they selected 46 high-scoring enterprises from a variety of industries as Nadeshiko Brands.
In the FY2019 initiative, in particular, with the goal of encouraging enterprises to further promote female workers to positions as members of boards of directors, they highly scored enterprises that have multiple female board members and also doubled from the level in the FY2018 scoring scheme for the “reform of corporate governance,” taking into consideration the importance of enhancing the supervisory functions of boards of directors.
Moreover, METI and the TSE selected enterprises as Semi-Nadeshiko Brands out of the high-scoring enterprises that have been ranked at the top level among all candidate enterprises but have not been selected as Nadeshiko Brands. These enterprises are selected regardless of the industry to which they belong.
1. In the Nadeshiko Brand initiative, enterprises which have answered the Survey on Enterprises Encouraging Women’s Success in the Workplace will be assessed based on certain criteria, e.g., screening requirements and scoring criteria for measuring women’s success in the workplace. Outstanding enterprises will be selected as Nadeshiko Brands if they are high-scoring enterprises in the predetermined selection block for the industry to which they belong and if [i] they have received scores equivalent to 85% or more of the top-scoring enterprise in the same industry and [ii] they have been ranked within the top 15% or higher among all candidate enterprises.
2. In the Semi-Nadeshiko Brand initiative, outstanding enterprises are selected as Semi-Nadeshiko Brands out of the high-scoring enterprises, regardless of the industry to which they belong, if they have been ranked within about the top 15% or higher among all candidate enterprises and if they have not been selected as Nadeshiko Brands.
2. Selected enterprises as Nadeshiko Brands or Semi-Nadeshiko Brands (in the order of securities code for industry category)The securities code and name of selected Nadeshiko Brands are shown in pink, while those for the selected Semi-Nadeshiko Brands are shown in orange. For reference, the previous incidences of the enterprises being selected as the FY2019 Nadeshiko Brands are shown with a pink dot (●), while the FY2019 Semi-Nadeshiko Brands are shown with a white dot (○).
|Type of industry||Securities
|Name of selected enterprise||Selected as Nadeshiko Brand|
|Fishery, agriculture and forestry, foods||2229||Calbee, Inc.||●||●||●||●||●||●|
|2502||Asahi Group Holdings, Ltd.||●||●||●||●||○|
|2914||Japan Tobacco Inc.||●||●|
|2503||Kirin Holdings Company, Limited||○||●||●|
|2579||Coca-Cola Bottlers Japan Holdings Inc.||○|
|2802||Ajinomoto Co., Inc.||●||●|
|2897||Nissin Foods Holdings Co., Ltd.||○|
|Mining, oil and coal products||5021||Cosmo Energy Holdings Co., Ltd.|
|Construction||1861||Kumagai Gumi Co., Ltd.|
|1951||Kyowa Exeo Corporation|
|Textiles and apparel||3401||Teijin Ltd.||○||●||●|
|Pulp and paper||3708||Tokushu Tokai Paper Co., Ltd.|
|Chemicals||4204||Sekisui House, Ltd.||●||●|
|4183||Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.||●|
|4911||Shiseido Company, Limited|
|Pharmaceuticals||4578||Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd.||○|
|Glass and clay products||5201||AGC Inc.||●||●|
|Iron and steel||5486||Hitachi Metals, Ltd.||●|
|Nonferrous metal||5801||Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd.||●|
|Metal products||5938||LIXIL Group Corporation||●||●||○||●||●|
|Machinery||6367||Daikin Industries, Ltd.||●||●||●||●||●||●|
|Electrical equipment||6645||OMRON Corporation||●||●|
|6724||Seiko Epson Corporation||●||●|
|Rubber products, transportation equipment||5108||Bridgestone Corporation||●||●||●||●||●||●|
|7259||Aisin Seiki Co., Ltd.|
|Precision machines||7701||Shimadzu Corporation||●||●||●|
|Other Products||7911||Toppan Printing Co., Ltd.|
|7912||Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd.||○|
|Electricity and gas||9531||Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd.||●||●||●|
|Land, marine and air transportation||9005||Tokyu Corporation||●||●||●||●||●||●||●|
|Marine transportation and air transportation||9101||NYK Line||●||●|
|Information and communications||4307||Nomura Research Institute, Ltd.||●||●||●|
|9613||NTT DATA Corporation||○||○|
|4739||ITOCHU Techno-Solutions Corporation||○|
|8056||Nihon Unisys, Ltd.||○|
|Wholesale trade||2768||Sojitz Corporation||●||●||●|
|8031||Mitsui & Co., Ltd.||●||●||○||●||○|
|8036||Hitachi High-Tech Corporation||●||●|
|Retail trade||8252||Marui Group Co., Ltd.||●||●|
|8267||AEON Co., Ltd.||●||●|
|3086||J. Front Retailing Co., Ltd.|
|Banking||8309||Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Holdings, Inc.||○|
|8316||Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc.||●||●||●||●|
|8331||Chiba Bank, Ltd.||●||●|
|8411||Mizuho Financial Group, Inc.||●||○||●||●|
|8416||Bank of Kochi, Ltd.||○|
|Securities and commodities futures||8601||Daiwa Securities Group Inc.||●||●||●||●||●|
|Insurance, other financing business||8630||Sompo Holdings, Inc.||●||●|
|8725||MS&AD Insurance Group Holdings, Inc.||○|
|8439||Tokyo Century Corporation||●||○|
|8750||Dai-ichi Life Holdings, Inc.||●||●|
|8766||Tokio Marine Holdings, Inc.||●||●||○||●||●|
|Real estate||3465||KI-Star Rear Estate Co., Ltd.||●|
|8905||AEON MALL Co., Ltd.||●||●||●|
|Services||2375||GiG Works Inc.||●||●||●|
|2168||Pasona Group Inc.|
3. FY2019 Report on the Nadeshiko Brands
METI will publish the FY2019 Report on the Nadeshiko Brands on its website at a later date. This report explains “Noteworthy Enterprises,” which are outstanding enterprises that have been selected for advancing proven efforts for women’s success in the workplace, and contains a list called the “Nadeshiko Challenge List,” which is a list of other outstanding enterprises engaging in efforts for women’s success in the workplace and the current situations of their information disclosures.
References (in Japanese) :
- TSE: Release of the FY2019 Report on the Nadeshiko Brands
- METI: Nadeshiko Brands: Enterprises Outstanding in Terms of Encouraging Women’s Success in the Workplace
- Statement by METI Minister Kajiyama on the Selection of Nadeshiko Brands (PDF:131KB)
- METI: New Diversity Management Selection 100 Program
Division in Charge
Economic and Social Policy Office, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau