Internal Restructuring to Enhance Measures against Counterfeit Goods
- The Office for Intellectual Property Right Protection of the Manufacturing Industries Bureau and the government's one-stop consultation counter on measures against counterfeit products to be transferred to the JPO -
March 27, 2020
On April 1, 2020, the government will transfer the Office for Intellectual Property Right Protection, a division under the Manufacturing Industries Bureau, METI, and the Office of Intellectual Property Protection, a one-stop consultation counter on measures against counterfeit products, to the Japan Patent Office (JPO). Through this effort, the government will enhance its functions for measures against counterfeit products.
As part of the government’s efforts for addressing counterfeit and pirated products, the Manufacturing Industries Bureau, a division having jurisdiction over the manufacturing industry, has been serving as the government’s one-stop consultation counter and receiving requests for consultation on such products, and then, according to the details of the consultations, the JPO and other organizations having jurisdiction over the industrial property rights have been addressing such consultations in a specific manner.
As online transactions and e-commerce have developed and counterfeit products are easily spread through such means, a wide variety of industries, ranging from the manufacturing industry, mainly operating business in physical markets, to the contents industry, have been suffering from a variety of damages caused by counterfeit products. In this trend, about 60% of all consultations that the JPO has received involved intellectual property rights, a field over which the JPO has jurisdiction.
In light of this situation, the government will transfer its one-stop consultation counter on measures against counterfeit products to the International Cooperation Division of the JPO. Through this effort, the government will strive to more swiftly address about 1,000 annual cases involving consultations on and information provision of companies’ damages caused by counterfeit products and also to effectively deploy activities for raising public awareness of such products and implement other related measures.
2. New contact counters to open on April 1, 2020
(1) Office for Intellectual Property Right Protection, International Cooperation Division, JPO
Telephone: 03-3581-1101 (extension: 2579); facsimile: 03-3581-0762
(2) Government’s Office of Intellectual Property Protection
Telephone: 03-3581-1101 (extension: 2575); facsimile: 03-3581-0762
Note: An online form for consultations is available.
Divisions in Charge
- International Cooperation Division, Policy Planning and Coordination Department, Japan Patent Office
- Office for Intellectual Property Right Protection, Manufacturing Industries Bureau