METI Minister Kajiyama Holds Meeting with H.E. Mr. Simon Birmingham, Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Australia, via Video Conference
May 18, 2020
On May 18 (Mon.), 2020, Mr. Kajiyama Hiroshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, held a meeting with H.E. Mr. Simon Birmingham, Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Australia, via video conference.
1. Outline of the meetingOn May 18 (Mon.), 2020, Minister Kajiyama held a meeting with Minister Birmingham, Australia, via video conference.
At the meeting, the ministers exchanged views on a variety of challenges emerging amid expansion of the novel coronavirus disease and confirmed advancement of Japan-Australia strategic collaboration in a wide variety of fields, not limited to bilateral economic ties.
They agreed on issuance of an Australia-Japan Joint Ministerial Statement in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, aiming to promote close collaboration with like-minded countries for the purpose of building rule-based international order and realizing sustainable economic growth.
2. Outline of the joint ministerial statement
- The ministers determined to continue enhancing bilateral economic cooperation;
- Shared concern that protectionism is exacerbated by the challenges posed by COVID-19 and that both sides will continue to work to uphold the multilateral trade system;
- Committed to refrain from imposing unnecessary export prohibitions or restrictions and confirmed that the two countries are consistent with WTO rules;
- Recognized the importance of working together to make supply chains more resilient;
- Affirmed their commitment to lead international rule-making on the digital economy; and
- Affirmed their cooperation with like-minded countries and commitment to work to sign the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) in 2020.
Division in Charge
Asia and Pacific Division, Trade Policy Bureau