May 21, 2020
*This press release was revised on September 8, 2020. Based on the result of subsequent discussions, the meeting title has been officially re-named "The Round Table for Infrastructure Systems Export”. The English version of the interim report has been posted.
The Round Table for Infrastructure Systems Export, is a body that holds discussions on future approaches to further encouraging Japanese companies to export infrastructure systems, taking into account the recent social situations. The round table held two meetings under the first round of meetings that are focused on the fields of electricity and energy and compiled the discussion results into an interim report.
1. Background to convening the round table and the purpose.
The government inaugurated a Management Council for Infrastructure Strategy in April 2013 as a central entity to support Japanese companies in exporting infrastructure systems. It has held 46 meetings since then on a variety of subjects, such as target regions and types of infrastructure, aiming to receive orders amounting to 30 trillion yen in 2020.
Since February 2020, the Cabinet Secretariat has been discussing future directions of a new infrastructure strategy from 2021. In line with this, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) considers it important to further encourage Japanese companies to export infrastructure systems, taking into account the market environments surrounding Japanese companies, global-level challenges and other social situations.
Bearing this challenge in mind, METI held “the Round Table for Infrastructure Systems Export.” In company with representatives of industrial players and domestic and overseas experts, this round table aims to verify facts on exports of infrastructure systems that are considered necessary in discussing related measures and hold discussions based on these findings towards streamlining future infrastructure exports.
2. Meeting results and report on discussion results
The round table has held two meetings since April 2020.
The first meeting was held on April 24 (Fri.), 2020, and participants held active discussions on streamlining and verification of facts on exports of infrastructure systems that are considered necessary in discussing related measures, taking into account the social situations surrounding the fields of energy and electricity.
The second meeting was held on May 11 (Mon.), 2020, and participants actively exchanged views on a draft interim report which was compiled based on the results of the first meeting.
Based on the details of the discussions, the round table compiled the past discussion results into an interim report, and METI hereby releases the report.
The round table will hold the meetings concerning the field of digital technologies and compile its discussion results into a final report as the round table.
- Interim report compiled by the Round Table for Infrastructure Systems Export (Electricity and Energy) (PDF:164KB)
- Reference to the interim report compiled by the Round Table for Infrastructure Systems Export (in Japanese)(PDF:7,863KB)
3. Members of the round table (for the first round of meetings; names are written in the order of the Japanese syllabary.)
- Oka Toshiko, President, Oka & Company Co.,Ltd.
- Onoda Satoshi, President, JERA Co., Inc.
- Kudo Teiko, Senior Managing Executive Officer, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation.
- Takeuchi Sumiko, Director, International Environment and Economy Institute
- Toyoda Masakazu, Chairman and CEO, The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan ( )
- Yamaji Kenji , Senior Vice President and Director General, Research Institute of Innovative Technology for the Earth
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)
- Ministry of Finance (MOF)
- Ministry of the Environment (MOE)
Links to related information
- Website as reference to the Round Table for Infrastructure Systems Export (in Japanese)
- News release: “The First Round-Table Panel for Infrastructure Systems Export” to be Held (April 20, 2020)
- News release: “The Second Round-Table Panel for Infrastructure Systems Export ” to be Held (May 8, 2020) (in Japanese)
Divisions in Charge
- Trade Promotion Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau
- Trade Finance Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau