- News Releases
- Back Issues
- June FY2020
- Cabinet Decision Made on the FY 2019 Annual Report on Energy (Japan’s Energy White Paper 2020)
Cabinet Decision Made on the FY 2019 Annual Report on Energy (Japan’s Energy White Paper 2020)
June 5, 2020
The Annual Report on Energy (also known as the “Energy White Paper”) summarizes the measures on energy supply and demand that the Government of Japan conducted in the previous fiscal year, which is submitted to the Diet pursuant to Article 11 of the Basic Act on Energy Policy (Act No. 71 of 2002). On June 5, 2020, a Cabinet Decision was made on the Energy White Paper 2020.
1. Outline of the report
Each year, the Energy White Paper describes the energy trends and the status of measures taken for energy supply and demand in the previous fiscal year. In addition to these data, this year’s paper introduces the following.
(1) Progress in reconstruction of Fukushima
- Current situations of supporting victims of the nuclear accident, e.g., developing environments that will encourage evacuees to return home;
- Current situations of contaminated water management;
- Progress in decommissioning, e.g., removal of fuel debris from the first target unit; etc.
(2) Enhancement of resilience of energy systems based on risks associated with disasters and geopolitics
- Measures for enhancing security of resources and fuels;
- Future directions of establishing sustainable power systems based on recent disasters;
- Future directions of energy system reform which places renewable energy as a main source of electricity;
- Institutional actions for enhancing energy resilience; etc.
(3) Measures to cope with the effectuation of the Paris Agreement
- Trends in global warming countermeasures, e.g., formulation of a long-term strategy;
- Trends in environmental finance that may cause impacts on energy; and
- Strategies toward cutting-edge environmental innovation to be formulated and implemented
- FY2019 Annual Report on Energy (Energy White Paper 2020) (Summary 5 pages) (in Japanese)
- FY2019 Annual Report on Energy (Energy White Paper 2020) (Summary) (in Japanese)
- Concerning FY2019 Annual Report on Energy (Energy White Paper 2020) (in Japanese)
Links to related information
Division in Charge
Research and Public Relations Office, Policy Planning and Coordination Division, Commissioner’s Secretariat, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy