June 23, 2020
Following on from FY2019, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) will jointly organize the Start Next Innovator 2020 program this fiscal year, an initiative for fostering entrepreneurs and other outstanding talents who will play a leading role worldwide.
1. Details of the program
Dramatic changes in societies and values are taking place globally which are brought about by the impacts of the novel coronavirus disease, with new challenges emerging. Against this backdrop, METI and JETRO inaugurated the Start Next Innovator program, aiming to foster innovators who: assimilate the mindset, knowledge and skills that are considered necessary for innovators; have a firm resolution to break existing frameworks to solve important challenges which cannot be solved by a single person; and motivate themselves to continue to take on challenges or take actions.
METI and JETRO will conduct all domestic training programs under the FY2020 program thoroughly online and free of charge in order to invite applications from people in a wide variety of fields who intend to cultivate Japan’s future.
We are looking forward to receiving applications from across Japan.
Period of the call: From June 10 to 12:00 p.m., July 8, 2020 (Results of the selection will be notified to applicants by the end of July 2020.)
Period of the program: From August 8, 2020, to February 2021
Participation fees: Participating in the program is free of charge.
Note: For details, see the rules and regulations of the program.
- Eligible applicants: People who intend to create Japan’s future including:
- People who would like to create innovation that may make impacts on society;
- Individuals who have unique ideas or plans; and
- People who have curiosity and are motivated to achieve growth.
Conditions that applicants should meet: Anyone who satisfies all of the requirements below is eligible to file an application.
- Able to participate in all training courses under the program (All training courses in Japan will be conducted online.);
- Aged 20 or older;
- Able to participate in lectures and workshops conducted in Japanese;
- Have some projects and ideas that they intend to materialize;
- Able to submit necessary application documents and a video clip for presentation; and
- Able to prepare equipment and environments necessary for participating in the services, e.g., online lectures, provided in the program.
2. Overview of the programDramatic changes in societies and values are taking place globally, which are brought about by the expansion of the novel coronavirus disease. In line with these changes, new social challenges are emerging across countries. Against this backdrop, Japan now needs proactive “innovators” who discover business opportunities beyond existing frameworks of organizations and industries and who continue to boldly take on challenges to create new values.
The Start Next Innovator 2020 consists of domestic training programs (17 days in total), a Silicon Valley program for selected applicants (10 days in total) and a Demo Day (scheduled to be held in February 2021). Through these training programs, the program aims to foster human resources with “innovatorship” who assimilate the necessary knowledge and skills based on their experiences acquired by accomplishing practical activities with instructors who have been leading the frontline at home and abroad as well as with over 80 mentors (as in previous years).
METI and JETRO will thoroughly conduct all domestic training programs under the FY2020 program online in order to invite applications from people in a wide variety of fields who intend to cultivate Japan’s future.
3. Related websites
If you have any inquiries, contact the secretariat of the program by email:
Division in Charge
Startup and New Business Promotion Office, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau