June 26, 2020
The National Institute of Technology and Evaluation (NITE) evaluated the effectiveness of disinfection and sterilization methods against the novel coronavirus and confirmed new disinfection and sterilization methods effective for this purpose. In light of this, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), jointly with the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) and the Consumer Affairs Agency (CAA), compiled information on such disinfection and sterilization methods for removing the novel coronavirus from household commodities, how to select and use antiseptics and other agents, and hereby announces it.
NITE evaluated the effectiveness of disinfection methods against the novel coronavirus and, based on this, it confirmed that not only existing disinfection methods against the novel coronavirus but also some surfactants and hypochlorous acid solutions are effective in removing the novel coronavirus.
In light of this, METI, MHLW and CAA jointly compiled information on disinfection and sterilization methods against the novel coronavirus, including how to select and use antiseptics and other agents (Links to related information (1), (2) and (3)).
2. Methods of reducing the novel coronavirus from household commodities
(1) Correctly selecting products that meet the desired purposes and using them according to correct methods
Currently, there are a variety of products on the market upholding such effectiveness as “disinfection” and “sterilization” to remove the novel coronavirus. The ministries and agency recommend consumers to correctly select products that meet the desired purposes and use them according to correct methods. The ministries and agency prepared a poster showing key points of how to select and use products (Related material 1) and hope that many of the general public will make use of it.
(2) Disinfection and Sterilization Method from household commodities
Concerning the effective disinfection and sterilization methods against the novel coronavirus, how to use effective substances is compiled as below.
- Disinfection and sterilization methods using existing substances, e.g., “sodium hypochlorite” (Related material 2);
- How to use “surfactants” (Related material 3); and
- How to use “hypochlorous acid solution” (Related material 4).
Moreover, concerning hypochlorous acid solution, the ministries and agency also release key points that companies in the manufacturing and sales industries should note, e.g., effectiveness, how to use and sales methods (Related material 5).
Links to related information
- (1) MHLW, METI and CAA joint website exclusively for “Information on Disinfection and Sterilization Methods against the Novel Coronavirus” (in Japnese)
- (2) MHLW website: “Q & A on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)” for the general public (in Japanese)
- (3) CAA website: “Correctly select “disinfection” and “sterilization” products that work” (in Japanese)
- (4) METI press release: “Surfactants and Hypochlorous Acid Solution to Help Removal of Coronavirus from Surfaces (Final Announcement)”
Related materials (in Japanese)
- Poster 1: “Correctly select “disinfection” and “sterilization” products that work” (PDF:208KB)
- Poster 2: “Keep the environment around you clean.” (PDF:196KB)
- Poster 3: “Disinfect household items using surfactant” (PDF:347KB)
- Poster 4: Notice on safe use of Hypochlorous Acid Solution to remove the novel coronavirus from household items (PDF:283KB)
- Poster 5: Handling instructions and sales methods for Hypochlorous Acid Solution (To manufactures and retailers) (PDF:438KB)
Division in Charge
- Bio-Industry Division, Commerce and Service Industry Policy Group
- Office for Crisis Management and Disaster Response, Minister’s Secretariat