July 29, 2020
*This press release was revised on July 31, 2020 in order to correct erratum in "2. Participating ministers" and incorporate more accurate language from Japanese to English translation.
On July 29, 2020, Mr. Kajiyama Hiroshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, and the economic ministers of ASEAN Member States held Special ASEAN Economic Minister (AEM) - METI Consultations via video conference and the ministers in attendance produced an ASEAN-Japan Economic Resilience Action Plan.
- On July 29 (Wed.), 2020, Special AEM-METI Consultations were held via video conference and Minister Kajiyama attended the meeting as a representative of Japan.
- At the meeting, the ministers exchanged views on the impacts on economy caused by COVID-19 pandemic and agreed on the issuance of an ASEAN-Japan Economic Resilience Action Plan.
- This action plan contains over 50 concrete projects that are aimed at accomplishing the Objectives of the ASEAN-Japan Economic Ministers’ Joint Statement on Initiatives on Economic Resilience which was issued in April 2020.
- Issuance of the Action Plan in response to of COVID-19 pandemic, which contains specific projects for economic and industrial cooperation, is the world’s pioneering multilateral cooperative effort to respond to negative economic effects caused by the pandemic. For details of the Action Plan, visit the following site.
2. Participating ministers
Japan: Mr. Kajiyama Hiroshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry
Viet Nam: Mr. Tran Tuan Anh, Minister of Industry and Trade
Brunei Darussalam: Mr. Dato Dr Amin Abdullah, Minister at the Prime Minister's Office and Minister of Finance and Economy II
Cambodia: Mr. Pan Sorasak, Minister of Commerce
Indonesia: Mr. Agus Suparmanto, Minister for Trade
Lao PDR: Ms. Khemmani Pholsena, Minister of Industry and Commerce
Malaysia: Mr. Dato’ Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali, Senior Minister of International Trade and Industry
Myanmar: Mr. U Bharat Singh, Deputy Minister for Investment and Foreign Economic Relations
Philippines: Mr. Ramon M. Lopez, Secretary of Department of Trade and Industry
Singapore: Mr. Chan Chun Sing, Minister for Trade and Industry
Thailand: Mr. Sansern Samalapa, Vice Minister for Commerce
ASEAN Secretariat: Mr. Dato Lim Jock Hoi, Secretary-General
- ASEAN-Japan Economic Resilience Action Plan
- Reference to the ASEAN-Japan Economic Resilience Action Plan
- Link to a reference: ASEAN-Japan Economic Ministers’ Joint Statement on Initiatives on Economic Resilience (issued on April 22, 2020)
Division in Charge
Asia and Pacific Division, Trade Policy Bureau