Website Exclusively for COVID-19 Testing Center for Overseas Travelers (TeCOT) to Open and “Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates” for Overseas Travelers to be Published
September 18, 2020
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) hereby announces that it will open its website exclusively for the COVID-19 Testing Center for Overseas Travelers (TeCOT).
It will also publish a “Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates” for Overseas Travelers (hereinafter referred to as the “register”). The register shows medical institutions that have registered based on their filing of applications (currently targeting those filed by September 10, 2020) and are allowed to issue a Certificate of a Negative Result of a Test Concerning the Novel Coronavirus Disease for overseas travelers.
1. Opening a webpage exclusively for TeCOT
On September 18, 2020, METI will open its website exclusively for TeCOT. This website will include not only the register for overseas travelers but also related overseas travel information, a Q&A section, and other information. Please note that the operation of the system will begin in October 2020.
2. Outline of the register for overseas travelers
On September 4, 2020, METI and the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) started accepting applications from medical institutions for official registration as institutions that are authorized to issue a certificate of a negative result of a test concerning the novel coronavirus disease for overseas travelers. In response, they examined applications received before September 10, 2020, in accordance with the predetermined criteria (*1). As a result of the examination, they added 188 medical institutions to the register (*2) prepared by the government. The register will also be published on the TeCOT website (3*), which will open on September 18, 2020. Moreover, the register will be shared with overseas governments if requested in order to allow business travelers and others to smoothly enter their destination countries.
*1. Rules of the Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates for Overseas Travelers (determined by METI and MHLW on September 3, 2020; Related materials 1 and 2)
*2. Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates (Related material 3)
3. Applications for registrationMETI and MHLW are continually accepting applications from medical institutions to join the register. The results will be published occasionally after qualified medical institutions have been added to the register.
- News release on September 4, 2020: Start of accepting applications for registration from medical institutions (in Japanese)
Reference: Related materials
- 1. Rules of the Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates for Overseas Travelers (in Japanese) (PDF:143KB)
- 2. Overview of the Rules of the Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates for Overseas Travelers (in Japanese) (PDF:144KB)
- 3. Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates (PDF:630KB)
Division in Charge
Information on this press release and the procedures for filing an application for registration:
TeCOT call center (service hours: from 9:00 to 17:00)
For medical institutions:
Tel: 0570-028117 (Line for IP phones, etc.: 03-6830-8026)
For overseas travelers:
Tel: 0570-039656 (Line for IP phones, etc.: 03-6830-8027)
Information on this press release, the register and the rules for registering medical institutions:
Team for Supporting Travelers to Overseas Countries, Investment Facilitation Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau, METI