September 30, 2020
On October 1 (Thur.), 2020, the COVID-19 Testing Center for Overseas Travelers (TeCOT) will begin operation. A reservation system for matching users and doctors (hereinafter referred to as “reservation matching”) will start at a later date.
Along with this, 80 medical institutions will be added to the Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates for overseas travelers. As a result, the number of registered medical institutions in the register has come to 305 in total and this allows medical institutions to conduct about 8,000 tests a day (weekdays).
1. Starting the operation of TeCOT
From 9:00 a.m., October 1 (Thur.), 2020, TeCOT will begin partial operation. Specifically, it will begin registering quotas for reservations by day and hour of each registered medical institution, which is necessary for making use of the reservation matching. TeCOT will begin operations, i.e., begin services for overseas travelers, in the near future. The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) will separately release the day on which TeCOT begins operation.
2. Updating the “Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates” for overseas travelers
METI and the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) organized medical institutions which filed an application for official registration in TeCOT by September 24 (Thur.), 2020 in accordance with the predetermined criteria (see the related materials 1 and 2 below). They selected 80 medical institutions out of such applicants and additionally registered them in the Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates (hereinafter referred to as the “register”; see the related material 3 below) prepared by the government. This additional registration brought the number of registered medical institutions to 305 (see the Appendix).
The register will be shared with overseas governments if requested in order to allow business travelers and others to smoothly enter their destination countries.
For the overview of the current situations of registered medical institutions by region, see the Appendix below.
- Appendix: Results of the call for applicants from medical institutions issuing a certificate of a negative result of a test concerning the novel coronavirus disease for overseas travelers (in Japanese) (PDF:123KB)
3. Acceptance of applications for registration from medical institutions
METI and MHLW have been continually accepting applications for registration from medical institutions. The results will be published occasionally after having registered successful medical institutions in the register. As for the next registration, institutions have until October 9 (Fri.) 2020 to file an application, and the register of successful medical institutions will be published on October 14 (Wed.), 2020.
- News release on September 4, 2020: Start of accepting applications for registration from medical institutions (in Japanese)
For the latest register, visit the METI website exclusively for TeCOT
Reference: Related materials
- 1. Rules of the Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates for Overseas Travelers (in Japanese) (PDF:144KB)
- 2. Overview of the Rules of the Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates for Overseas Travelers (in Japanese) (PDF:144KB)
- 3. Register of Medical Institutions Issuing COVID-19 Testing Certificates for Overseas Travelers (updated on September 30, 2020) (PDF:814KB)
Division in Charge
Information on this press release and the procedures for filing an application for registration:
TeCOT call center (service hours: from 9:00 to 17:00)
For medical institutions:
Tel: 0570-028117 (Line for IP phones, etc.: 03-6830-8026)
For overseas travelers:
Tel: 0570-039656 (Line for IP phones, etc.: 03-6830-8027)
Information on this press release, the register and the rules for registering medical institutions:
Team for Supporting Travelers to Overseas Countries, Investment Facilitation Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau, METI