Announcement of Private M&A Platform Businesses Willing to Collaborate with Support Centers for Smooth Business Succession
October 1, 2020
The Small and Medium Enterprise Agency (SMEA) hereby announces three private M&A platform businesses which are willing to collaborate with Support Centers for Smooth Business Succession, bodies which were established in all 47 prefectures across Japan.
1. Collaboration between the centers and private M&A platform businesses
SMEA formulated the Comprehensive Package of Measures for Supporting SMEs in Business Succession to Third Parties on December 20, 2019, aiming to encourage business resources, e.g., techniques and human resources, of SMEs, which are faced with aging business owners, to pass over to and converge on next-generation, proactive business operators. As part of this effort, SMEA has decided on collaboration between Support Centers for Smooth Business Succession, bodies under SMEA, and private platform businesses in order to foster momentum for business succession.
Against this backdrop, SMEA has been calling for M&A platform businesses willing to collaborate with the centers since July 15, 2020.
- Call to Open for M&A Platform Businesses Willing to Collaborate with Support Centers for Smooth Business Succession (news release on July 15, 2020)
- SME Business Succession Support Package Formulated (news release on December 20, 2019)
Reference 1: Fostering momentum of SME business succession in collaboration with private M&A platform businesses
2. Outline of M&A platform businesses collaborating with the centers
As a result of a call, SMEA has received applications from three businesses so far as below and it found that all of the businesses satisfy the requirements for registration for collaboration with the centers.
- TRANBI Inc. (operator of “TRANBI” platform)
- Batonz Corporation (operator of “Batonz” platform)
- Visional Incubation Inc. (operator of “Bizreach Succeed” platform)
From October 1, 2020, the centers will start collaboration with these platform businesses soon after they complete preparations for the collaboration.
Reference 2: Requirements that applicant platform businesses should satisfy for collaboration with the centers (those shown in the call on July 15, 2020)
Eligible businesses should:
- Have around 5,000 or more businesses registered on the platform which are willing to take ownership of SMEs’ businesses;
- Have succeeded in concluding over aroung 100 M&A cases;
- Have been operating a platform on which the scope of information disclosure can be limited;
- Have been operating a platform on which listed SMEs are able to directly negotiate with negotiating partners;
- Have achieved collaboration between SMEs and organizations supporting business succession (public support organizations, financial institutes, etc.); and
- Have been operating their businesses in accordance with the M&A Guidelines for SMEs.
Division in Charge
Corporate Finance and Tax Affairs Division, Business Environment Department, Small and Medium Enterprise Agency