October 6, 2020
From 13:00, October 8 (Thur.), 2020, operation of the COVID-19 Testing Center for Overseas Travelers (TeCOT) will start and overseas travelers will be able to find medical institutions at which they can undergo a test for the novel coronavirus disease and to make a reservation at such an institution. These services will be limited to business travelers for the time being.
1. Operation of TeCOT
From 13:00, October 8 (Thur.), 2020, TeCOT will launch online services allowing overseas travelers to find medical institutions which provide tests for the novel coronavirus disease and to make a reservation at such an institution.
As of October 8, 2020, 305* medical institutions are registered in TeCOT, and this allows medical institutions to conduct about 8,000 tests a day (on a weekday basis).
Note: This number includes medical institutions that usually do not accept visits from the public, e.g., internal clinics of private companies.
2. Eligible users of TeCOT
For this initial launch period, TeCOT will provide services only to business travelers. In addition, it will provide such services not only to Japanese nationals but also to overseas nationals residing in Japan, regardless of nationality. For people who will travel overseas for purposes other than business, e.g., overseas students, etc. leaving Japan, TeCOT services will begin at a later date only in cases where testing limits have not been exceeded. Additionally, consideration will be given to the use of TeCOT by travel agencies in due course.
Examples of business travelers:
- Executive officers of Japanese companies, including Japanese affiliates of overseas companies, as well as overseas nationals residing in Japan;
- Athletes who belong to official athletics associations;
- Individual business operators, including freelancers;
- Researchers who belong to recognized institutions such as universities; and
- Public officers of the national government or municipalities
Note: If you have any questions, please contact the TeCOT call center shown below.
3. Obtaining a gBizIDA gBizID is required to make use of TeCOT. Please note that an overseas company that has no Japanese affiliate cannot obtain a gBizID. Moreover, when a reservation at a medical institution is made, TeCOT will confirm whether or not a ticket for an international flight has been purchased for the user. For more information, see the manual for overseas travelers, which will be released on the website below by October 8, 2020.
Concerning gBizID categories, please see the following table.
|Category of gBizID||Category of overseas travelers|
|gBiz (corporations)||This category includes: executive officers of companies, including those who are overseas nationals residing in Japan, Athletes who belong to official athletics associations, researchers who belong to recognized institutions such as universities
Note: TeCOT will provide services to executive officers of overseas companies which have no Japanese affiliates at a later date.
|gBiz (individuals)||Individual business operators, including freelancers|
|gBiz (public officers)||Public officers of the national government or municipalities|
Note: The gBizID system is an authentication service in which a business is able to log in to a variety of administrative services using one ID and one password. To obtain a gBizID, visit the website below.
Division in Charge
Information on this press release and the procedures for filing an application for registration:
TeCOT call center (service hours: from 9:00 to 17:00)
For medical institutions:
Tel: 0570-028117 (Line for IP phones, etc.: 03-6830-8026)
For overseas travelers:
Tel: 0570-039656 (Line for IP phones, etc.: 03-6830-8027)
Information on this press release, the register and the rules for registering medical institutions:
Team for Supporting Travelers to Overseas Countries, Investment Facilitation Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau, METI