October 15, 2020
On October 16 (Fri.), 2020, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) will hold a meeting of the Council on Development of Infrastructures for Digital Markets for Realization of Society 5.0 to discuss policies for development of infrastructures in future digital markets.
1. Background and purpose
A competitive environment called “winner takes all” has been built in digital markets, mainly advantageous for digital platform businesses in overseas countries. In this situation, Japan has been advancing efforts for enhancing its industrial competitiveness toward realization of the Society 5.0 policy and for achieving “Data Free Flow with Trust (DFFT),” a concept for facilitating free, open data flows in a safe and secure manner. Meanwhile, in the process of advancing responses to the novel coronavirus disease, it has been found that introduction of DX into Japanese companies is slow compared with other countries due to structural challenges facing Japan. Japan will need to recover people’s daily lives suffering from the expansion of the disease and bring the Japanese economy back on a regular track. To these ends and toward realization of the Society 5.0 policy, it should advance [i] cross-industrial development of infrastructures for digital markets, in particular, selection of the fields in which Japan should advance efforts for designing digital architectures and [ii] introduction of DX into companies.
Against this backdrop, METI will hold a meeting of the Council on Development of Infrastructures for Digital Markets for Realization of Society 5.0, aiming to bring together expert knowledge of the public and private sectors and further accelerate related actions concerning policies for
2. Date and time
October 16 (Fri.), 2020; from 14:30 to 16:00
International Conference Room, 17th floor, METI Main Building
(Address: 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo)
1. The meeting will be held physically and via video conference as a measure for preventing expansion of the novel coronavirus disease.
2. The meeting will not be open to the public in order to ensure an opportunity for members to exchange their opinions in a frank and free manner. However, a summary of the proceedings will be made public.
- Opening remarks (METI Minister and Minister for Digital Transformation; tentative)
- Explanations by the secretariat
- Free-style discussions
5. Information on meeting materials
Meeting materials and a summary of the proceedings will be released on the following website after the meeting.
- Meeting of Council on Development of Infrastructures for Digital Markets for Realization of Society 5.0 (in Japanese)
Division in Charge
Information Economy Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau