METI Minister Kajiyama Delivers Keynote Speech at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC)
November 10, 2020
On November 9 (Mon.), 2020, Mr. Kajiyama Hiroshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, delivered a keynote speech at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC) 2020.
In response to the invitation from H.E. Mr. Suhail Mohamed Al Mazrouei, Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Minister Kajiyama delivered a keynote speech at ADIPEC 2020, a virtual conference held from November 9 to 12, 2020.
In his keynote speech, Minister Kajiyama explained Japan’s carbon neutral efforts to be achieved by 2050, echoing the policy declared by Prime Minister Suga in his policy speech, and stated that as future demand for energy is expected to expand mainly in Asia, Japan will support the clean utilization of fossil fuels in developing countries and also that it will deploy a “responsible energy policy” that will address climate change, secure a stable supply of energy and achieve sustainable economic growth, not only across Japan, but also for developing countries.
Reference: Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC)
- ADIPEC is the world’s largest exhibition and conference in the oil and gas industries, which was inaugurated in 1984.
- Over 2,000 companies and associations from 135 countries have joined as members. In 2019, ADIPEC brought together more than 100,000 visitors.
- ADIPEC 2020 was held online in November due to impacts of the novel coronavirus disease. As part of ADIPEC 2020, a virtual conference was held from November 9 to 12, in which Minister Kajiyama delivered a keynote speech.
- The virtual conference this year brought together many ministers of major oil producers, including H.E. Dr. Sultan Al Jaber, Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology, UAE, and CEO of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC); H.R.H. Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, Minister of Energy, Saudi Arabia; and H.E. Mr. Ihsan Ismael, Minister of Oil, Iraq.
- In the virtual exhibition, the Japan Pavilion with the theme “Space” was presented, and Japanese companies set up their booths.
Division in Charge
Petroleum and Natural Gas Division, Natural Resources and Fuel Department, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy