November 19, 2020
On November 19 (Thur.), 2020, a general meeting for the inauguration of the Supply Chain Cybersecurity Consortium (SC3), a body aiming to encourage all industrial players to unite in their efforts for promoting cybersecurity measures throughout supply chains, was held.
1. Outline of SC3
On November 1, 2020, under the leadership of major economic associations, SC3 was inaugurated as a body aiming to bring together a variety of associations and other organizations in the industrial fields and encourage them to promote cybersecurity measures throughout supply chains. Following this, on November 19, 2020, a general meeting for the inauguration was held.
2. Outline of the general meeting
At the general meeting, Mr. Endo Nobuhiro, SC3 President (Chair, Committee on Cyber Security, Keidanren), Mr. Kaneko Shingo, SC3 Vice President (Special Advisor, Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI)), and Mr. Mashita Naoaki, SC3 Vice President (Vice Chairman, Keizai Doyukai), delivered speeches and stated their commitments through SC3 activities to: raising companies’ awareness of security, building trusting relationships as the most important element in establishing security, and advancing creation of high value across Japanese industrial players.
Mr. Kajiyama Hiroshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, stressed the importance of uniting efforts of the entire industrial players to tackle the increasing threat of cyber-attacks and stated that METI will support industrial players in advancing their efforts as an SC3 observer.
Furthermore, on November 19, 2020, three associations of the Keidanren, JCCI and the Keizai Doyukai issued a “Joint Statement for Ensuring Cybersecurity throughout Supply Chains” through SC3, which stated that they would advance cybersecurity measures throughout supply chains in order to contribute to maintaining and fortifying trust in Japanese industries.
November 19 (Thur.), 2020
Meeting format: Online style
- Opening remarks by SC3 President
- Speech by SC3 Vice President
- Speech by the METI Minister
- Explanations on SC3 efforts
- Explanations on SC3 activities and introduction of the members of the Operation Committee
- Keynote speech on the latest cybersecurity incidents, current situations of and challenges in companies’ cybersecurity measures, etc.
- Speech by the Chairman of the Information-technology Promotion Agency, Japan (IPA)
- Future approaches and announcement of internal matters
Division in Charge
Cybersecurity Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau