December 21, 2020
Mr. Kajiyama Hiroshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, attended the 14th Japan-China Energy Conservation and Environment Forum held on December 20, 2020.
1. Summarized results of the forum
- On December 20 (Sun.), 2020, the 14th Japan-China Energy Conservation and Environment Forum was held. The forum this time was held online connecting Tokyo and Beijing due to the impacts caused by the novel coronavirus disease, and it brought together over 450 stakeholders as registered participants from the public and private sectors in both countries, including Minister Kajiyama, Mr. Muneoka Shoji, Chairman of the Japan-China Economic Association, and other officials from the Japanese side, as well as H.E. Mr. He Lifeng, Chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), H.E. Mr. Li Chenggang, Assistant Minister of Commerce, and other officials from the Chinese side.
- Memorandums for establishment of 14 new cooperation projects were exchanged at the forum (see the Appendix). With these exchanges, the number of such projects has come to 402 since the inauguration of the forum in 2006.
- At the plenary session, Minister Kajiyama stated that this forum should place priority on “energy cooperation toward a decarbonized society” and stressed the significance of Japan-China collaboration in such fields as hydrogen and carbon recycling to achieve carbon neutral efforts. Both sides confirmed that through the forum, they will enrich cooperation taking advantage of their respective characteristics and will contribute to realization of a positive cycle of economy and environment at a global level.
- Furthermore, the forum provided four sessions titled “improvement of energy efficiencies (energy conservation),” “introduction of electrified and smarter vehicles,” “hydrogen and clean electricity” and “Japan-China long-term trading (water environment management and sludge disposal),” and representatives of the public sectors, major companies and other organizations from Japan and China exchanged views at the sessions.
2. Meeting between Minister Kajiyama and Chairman Lifeng, NDRC
- On the same date, Minister Kajiyama held a meeting with Chairman Lifeng, NDRC.
- The two sides exchanged views on policy dialogues toward achievement of carbon neutral efforts by 2050 in Japan and by 2060 in China and those on economic policies as a whole in Japan and China.
Division in Charge
- Northeast Asia Division, Trade Policy Bureau
- International Affairs Office, Policy Planning Division, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Department, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy