“Green Growth Strategy towards 2050 Carbon Neutrality” Formulated
- Industrial policy to lead the challenging goal of carbon neutrality to a "Positive cycle of eonomic growth and environmental protection" -
December 25, 2020
1. Background and overview
In October 2020, Prime Minister Suga declared the goal of realizing a carbon-neutral, decarbonized society by 2050.
In light of this, METI executed leadership and formulated a “Green Growth Strategy towards 2050 Carbon Neutrality” in collaboration with related ministries and agencies, and, on December 25, 2020, made a briefing on the strategy at a meeting of the Committee on the Growth Strategy.
This strategy is an industrial policy to lead the challenging goal of achieving carbon neutrality by 2050, a vision that is upheld by the Suga administration and aims toward a positive cycle of economic growth and environmental protection.
2. Highlights of the strategy
Upholding high goals for each of the 14 priority fields, this Green Growth Strategy makes explicit current challenges and future actions by priority field, and formulates action plans covering comprehensive policies in areas such as budgets, taxes, regulation reforms and standardization, and international collaboration.
METI will implement this strategy in a steady manner and, in collaboration with related ministries and agencies, hold more concrete discussions on goals and measures toward future revision of the strategy.
3. Materials issued by the Secretariat of the Committee on the Growth Strategy
- Material 1: Overview of Green Growth Strategy towards 2050 Carbon Neutrality(PDF:1,014KB)
- Material 2: Green Growth Strategy towards 2050 Carbon Neutrality (in Japanese)(PDF:2,745KB)
- Website of the Committee on the Growth Strategy (in Japanese)
4. Related materials
Key points of the strategy
- PR material 1: Conceptual picture of industries in a carbon-neutral society (in Japanese)(PDF:1,005KB)
- PR material 2: Conceptual picture of expansion of carbon neutral among industries (material explained by METI Minister Kajiyama at a national forum on 2050 carbon neutrality held on December 17, 2020)(in Japanese)(PDF:752KB)
Division in Charge
Environmental Policy Division, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau