Summit of Presidents and Heads of Universities and Other Institutes on Approaches to their Contributions to Achievement of Carbon Neutrality to be Held
March 22, 2021
Universities are expected to play important roles in Japan’s achievement of carbon neutrality by 2050 as organizations responsible for creation and dissemination of knowledge for changing the country and regions. Aiming at the inauguration of a Coalition of Universities and Other Institutes as Contributors to Achievement of Carbon Neutrality ,* a body to enhance collaboration between universities and other institutes (hereinafter referred to as “universities, etc.”), the summit aims to bring together presidents and heads of universities, etc. which are scheduled to participate in the coalition and exchange views on such issues as ideal approaches to contributions by universities, etc. together with Mr. Hagiuda Koichi, Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Mr. Koizumi Shinjiro, Minister of the Environment, and Mr. Ejima Kiyoshi, State Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry.
*Note: This is a network between universities, etc. for their further contributions to achievement of carbon neutrality. It aims to encourage universities, etc. to: enhance collaboration with the government, municipalities, companies and domestic and overseas universities and colleges, and thereby promote research and development (R&D) contributing to such efforts as decarbonization in the country and regions, introduce outcomes of such R&D to society, and enhance their functions and influence involving zero carbon emissions in regions and their campuses. The coalition is scheduled to be inaugurated in the summer of 2021.
1. Date and time
March 23 (Tue.), 2021; from 17:30 to 18:10
(1) Opening remark
(2) Speeches by the ministers and state minister
(3) Universities’ efforts and resolutions
- Dr. Matsuo Seiichi, President, Tokai National Higher Education and Research System
- Dr. Terano Minoru, President, and Dr. Nagai Yukari, Vice President, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Dr. Umekawa Hayato, Vice President, Mie University
- Dr. Matsuo Takashi, President, the University of Kitakyushu
- Dr. Harashina Sachihiko, President, Chiba University of Commerce
(4) Expectations of municipalities and other associations for universities
- Mr. Abe Shuichi, Governor, Nagano Prefecture
- Mr. Kadokawa Daisaku, Mayor, Kyoto City
- Dr. Hashimoto Kazuhito, Program Director, Advanced Low Carbon Technology Research and Development Program (ALCA), Japan Science and Technology Agency
(5) Opinion exchange between the ministers and the presidents, etc.
(6) Adoption of Statement
(7) Closing remark
3. Real-time video streaming
The summit will be broadcast by real-time video streaming on the YouTube website. Please visit the following website to watch the summit.
- Coalition of Universities and Other Institutes as Contributors to Achievement of Carbon Neutrality (in Japanese)
Division in Charge
Industry-University Collaboration Office, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau