May 10, 2021
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and NEDO will hold a summit on June 4, 2021 to raise interest of local governments throughout Japan in using drones. At the summit, leaders from local governments that are actively using drones will take the stage to share with the whole nation examples of and future prospects for drone initiatives, prompting further moves to boost the drone industry all over Japan.
1. Background and purpose
An increasing number of local governments are using drones to solve various local issues regarding logistics, inspections, disaster prevention, and so on. On the other hand, many local governments and businesses still do not know much about drones themselves or how they can be used to solve these kinds of challenges despite some knowledge about drones they have.
Therefore, providing an opportunity for leaders of local governments that are actively using drones to share use examples and their resolution for further efforts will make other local governments and businesses aware of the potential of drones, and encourage more local governments across the nation to adopt them. This will prompt further moves to boost the drone industry.
2. Event outline
June 4, 2021 (Fri.), 14:00-17:00
3. Details, and how to participateIn the first part, leaders of local governments at the cutting edge in terms of utilizing drones will talk about their efforts. In the second part, the leaders who took the stage in the first part will have a panel discussion in which they will present their respective organizations' future efforts and discuss the prospects for utilizing drones by local governments.
Presentations by leaders of local governments that are making cutting-edge use of drones
Planned speakers (in order of appearance):
- Mr. Riku Miyamoto, Mayor of Kaga City, Ishikawa Prefecture
(In the form of a dialog with Mr. Satoshi Kawakami, Director of the Advanced Air Mobility Office, METI)
- Ms. Hiroko Ishii, Mayor of Kimitsu City, Chiba Prefecture
- Mr. Hiromichi Nakano, Mayor of Yaizu City, Shizuoka Prefecture
- Mr. Takashi Shiratori, Mayor of Ina City, Nagano Prefecture
- Mr. Masato Nishikawa, Mayor of Asahikawa City, Hokkaido
Panel discussion by the speakers in Part 1
For more information on the summit and registration to participate, please visit the following website:
4. Media coverage, etc.
The summit will be held completely online.
To participate as press-related personnel, please go to the application form at the above URL and register as press. A URL for viewing the summit will be provided in due course.
Division in Charge
Advanced Air Mobility Office, Industrial Machinery Division, Manufacturing Industries Bureau