May 14, 2021
On May 14, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) promulgated and enforced a Ministerial Order and Public Notice that stipulate energy consumption efficiency (energy efficiency standards) for television sets.
Under the Act on the Rational Use of Energy (Act No. 49 of 1979), METI is promoting efforts toward energy efficiency among equipment where it is particularly necessary. Its approaches include setting energy efficiency standards that relevant manufacturers are required to ensure that their products satisfy by the target fiscal year. These standards are formulated considering factors such as the performance of products with the highest efficiency rate (known as "top runners").
In light of recent trends concerning television sets which have seen them becoming larger and having more advanced functions, the relevant working group discussed reviewing energy efficiency standards, then compiled a report in February 2021 indicating a new target fiscal year, energy efficiency standards, and other matters.* Based on this report, on May 14, METI promulgated and enforced a Ministerial Order and Public Notice that stipulate new energy efficiency standards and other rules for television sets, with FY2026 as the target year.
2. Ministerial Order and Public Notice promulgated and enforced
- Ministerial Order to Partially Amend the Ordinance for Enforcement of the Act on the Rational Use of Energy
- Public Notice to Partially Amend the Judgment Standards for Manufacturers, etc. of Energy-Consuming Equipment Concerning the Enhancement of the Energy Consumption Efficiency for Television Sets
3. Outline of the new energy efficiency standards
Target fiscal year: FY2026 (Reiwa 8 fiscal year)
Target equipment: Liquid crystal television sets and organic EL television sets
Category and energy efficiency standards: The energy standard values specified for each category shown in the table below(Note: The new energy efficiency standard [109.8 kWh per annum for all television sets] is expected to yield an improvement of about 32% compared with the actual energy consumption efficiency in 2018 [162.5 kWh].)
|Category name||Category||Energy efficiency standard value
(kWh per year)
|A||Liquid crystal TV sets of less than 2K||0.00407A+30.08|
|B||Liquid crystal TV sets of 2K or more but less than 4K||0.00605A+56.13|
|C||Liquid crystal TV sets of 4K or more||0.00728A+62.99|
|D||Organic EL TV sets||0.02136A-16.40
Note: 75.0 if A<4,258.
A: Screen area (square centimeters)
- Calculation method for standard energy consumption efficiency: Efficiency was calculated by estimating standard use of television sets based on standard conditions of use, e.g., viewing time, recording time and brightness.
4. Promulgation and enforcement date
May 14, 2021
Division in Charge
Energy Efficiency Division, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Division, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy