June 4, 2021
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) established the Semiconductor and Digital Industry Strategy Review Conference this March in order to examine future policy directions regarding semiconductors, digital infrastructure, and the digital industry. It hereby announces that a "Strategy for Semiconductors and the Digital Industry" has been compiled and published
The environment surrounding the digital industry, digital infrastructure and the semiconductors they are based on is facing significant changes. These include the advance of digitalization due to COVID-19 responses, the moves toward carbon neutrality by 2050, tight supply/demand conditions of semiconductors worldwide, trade issues surrounding cutting-edge semiconductors and digital technologies, and economic security.
In order to respond to these changes, METI established the "Semiconductor and Digital Industry Strategy Review Conference" in March 2021 in order to examine future policy directions regarding semiconductors, digital infrastructure, and the digital industry. As a result of a repeated exchange of views with experts, the "Strategy for Semiconductors and the Digital Industry" has now been compiled.
2. Outline of the Strategy for Semiconductors and the Digital Industry
In light of the transitions and changes in the environment surrounding semiconductors, digital infrastructure, and the digital industry, specific strategies tailored to the following fields have been formulated: (1) semiconductors, (2) digital infrastructure, and (3) the digital industry.
Each strategy will address the following matters as measures for the future.
- Jointly developing cutting-edge semiconductor manufacturing technology and securing sufficient production capability
- Accelerating digital investment and strengthening the design and development of cutting-edge logic semiconductors
- Promoting green innovation
- Strengthening the portfolio of the domestic semiconductor industry and enhancing its resilience
- Promoting locating data centers and establishing new facilities (with optimal placement) in Japan
- Building green data centers
- Promoting the development of communications infrastructure for 5G, Beyond5G, etc.
- Developing next-generation technologies
- Promoting quality clouds and creating a market for them
- Fostering a digital industry that will provide services that are based in Japan
- Developing next-generation technologies toward achieving quality clouds
- Building systems for cross-ministry/agency cooperation and industry-academia-government collaboration
- Reflecting these in industrial policy
- Linkage with green and energy policies
The following will be conducted progressively in order to start implementing this strategy: reflecting it in the government's growth strategies, etc.; securing the necessary policy resources; and advancing various projects. A follow-up system will start to be developed this summer on the implementation of the strategy. The changes in the digital environment, the progress of each project and the situation of policy review will be monitored, and reflected in the implementation of policies.
3. Related material
Division in Charge
IT Industry Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau