New Establishment and Revision of the Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) (June 2021)
- Establishment and revision of JIS, including accessible design (ease of handling and manipulation of packaging) -
June 21, 2021
The Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) are a collection of national standards stipulating the criteria for mineral or industrial products, data, and services in Japan, including their quality, performance and test methods. The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) has been revising and newly establishing these standards in response to societal and technological changes. METI publicly introduces newly established and revised standards that are especially important to the economy and the public once a month in a press release.
1. Outline of the new establishment and revision of the JIS
In June 2021, METI established three new standards and revised an existing one (Appendix 1). In particular, METI believes that the following establishments of JIS are especially important.
(1) Newly established JIS for accessible design (ease of handling and manipulation of packaging)
People with reduced physical ability due to age or physical disabilities often have difficulty with the holding, lifting, carrying, and general handling of packaged foods, daily necessities, and so on (i.e., plastic containers for detergents and paper boxes for tissues). Therefore, in order to make packaging easier to handle and manipulate, METI has established a JIS that takes accessible design*1 into consideration (JIS S0021-4).
The establishment of this JIS is expected to encourage producers, etc. to provide packaging that the elderly, people with disabilities, and many other groups will find easy to use. This will in turn make life more convenient for users.
- Figure 1: Example of a handle attached to an easy-to-hold container
- Figure 2: Example of vertical grooves on an easy-to-grip screw cap
2. Outline of the JIS
The JIS stipulate the types and quality of products, data, services, etc., test or assessment methods for ascertaining these types and quality, and standard values that businesses are required to meet. Producers, service providers, product users and consumers, and other stakeholders make use of these standards for purposes such as being able to access quality products and services with peace of mind.
METI has been establishing new standards or revising existing ones for the JIS in response to technological advancements, changes in the social environment and other factors, doing so as necessary.
For more information on the JIS, visit the following websites:
- The Japanese Industrial Standards Committee website (in Japanese)
- METI website for standardization and certification (in Japanese)
For details on the respective JIS, visit the following website.
3. Past news releases
- For past news releases related to the establishment and revision of JIS, visit this website (in Japanese) .
4. Contact for inquiries about the respective JIS
If you wish to inquire about the details regarding the JIS introduced at this time, please contact the International Standardization Division shown in Appendix 1 by email. When sending an email, please clearly indicate your name, the name of your company (if you send an email as a representative of a company or other entity), and your contact information.
Division in Charge
Standards and Conformity Assessment Public Relations Office, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau