Call for Applicants for the FY2021 Best Contributors to Product Safety Awards (PS Awards 2021) Program Starts
Program for supporting enterprises' efforts toward developing product safety into corporate value
June 28, 2021
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) has been conducting the Best Contributors to Product Safety Awards program with the aim of encouraging enterprises to make a greater commitment to improving product safety as well as to firmly establish the concept of the value of product safety in Japanese society. It hereby announces that it will start a call for applicants for the FY2021 Product Safety Awards (PS Awards 2021) program. The call will be open from July 1 (Thu.) to August 31 (Tue.). As all enterprises and associations involved in consumer products are eligible, METI hopes that many will apply for the program.
Message to 2021 applicants:
- The following two items have been set as priority issues for this year's examination:
- "Management of the whole supply chain toward achieving product safety"
- "Efforts toward preventing product-related accidents involving elderly people"
- "Dissemination of information toward creating a culture of product safety" has been added to the examination criteria
- New Special Awards have been established for the Online Shopping Mall Operator Category
- Logo of the Best Contributors to Product Safety
- Group photo taken at the commendation ceremony of the PS Awards 2020
1. Outline of the Best Contributors to Product Safety Awards
Targeting as applicants individual enterprises or associations that are proactively committed to product safety efforts in the manufacturing, import, retail sales, online shopping malls, and various other industries, the Best Contributors to Product Safety Awards aim to select and honor outstanding enterprises as Best Contributors to Product Safety based on the results of a strict examination. The awards program evaluates not the safety level of products that applicant enterprises handle but the applicant enterprises' or associations' commitment to activities toward product safety.
2. Outline of the call
(1) Examination criteria
An examination committee will examine the applicants’ commitment to ensuring product safety based on four criteria:
i. Commitment to manufacturing or importing (or purchasing or selling) safe products;
ii. Commitment to helping users handle products safely;
iii. Commitment to appropriately addressing problems with product safety that emerge after products are shipped; and
iv. Commitment to establishing a culture of product safety
(2) Categories, types of awards and eligible applicants
|Category||Types of awards||Eligible applicants|
|Large Manufacturer and Importer Category||
||Manufacturers and importers of consumer products*1 - [a]|
|Small & Medium Manufacturer and Importer Category||
|Large Retailer Category||
||Retailers of consumer products*1 - [b]|
|Small & Medium Retailer Category||
||Associations that conduct business related to consumer products,*1 and do not fall under [a] or [b]|
|Enterprise General Category||
||Enterprises (except for online shopping mall operators*2) that conduct business related to consumer products,*1 and do not fall under [a] or [b]|
|Online Shopping Mall Operator Category||
||Online shopping mall operators*2|
*2. The term "online shopping mall operators" means operators of online shopping malls, internet auctions and online flea markets through which products are sold and bought on the internet. If online shopping mall operators conduct manufacturing, import or retail business as well, then they will also fall under a Manufacturer and Importer Category or Retailer Category. If this applies, please choose which category to apply for based on your main business.
(3) Examination process
An examination committee consisting of experts, representatives of consumer associations and other members will examine the applications.
The committee will select applicants through document screening in the primary examination, presentations by screened applicants in the secondary examination, and if necessary, on-site interviews conducted by committee members. It will then decide the winners.
3. Schedule of the call and examinations
- Start of the call: July 1 (Thu.), 2021
- Close of the call: August 31 (Tue.), 2021
- Primary examination (document screening): Early to mid-September 2021
- Secondary examination
Examination of presentations: September 27 (Mon.) to October 4 (Mon.), 2021
(Face-to-face or online)
Note: On-site interviews, etc.: October 11 (Mon.) to October 22 (Fri.), 2021
- Announcement of winners: Early November 2021
(On the METI website)
- Commendation ceremony: November 30 (Tue.), 2021
4. Information about individual consultations
METI will offer individual consultations over the phone or online using a web conferencing system for anyone considering applying. For more information (including how to apply), please visit the PS Awards website (in Japanese).
Schedule for individual consultations
July 5 (Mon.) to August 20 (Fri.) (Opening hours: 09:00-17:00)
5. Contact counter for information on how to apply for the program
Secretariat of the Best Contributors to Product Safety Awards (PS Awards) program
Reference 1: Newsletters concerning the PS Awards program
METI provides the latest information on the PS Awards program through a series of newsletters.
If you wish to receive them, send an email with the subject "Registration for newsletters" to the following address.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference 2: Winners of the PS Awards 2020
[Large Manufacturer and Importer Category]
- METI Minister's Award: Laundry Systems and Vacuum Cleaner Business Division, Appliances Company, Panasonic Corporation
- Excellent Award (Committee Award): ASICs Corporation
- Excellent Award (Committee Award): Corona Corporation
[Small & Medium Manufacturer and Importer Category]
- METI Minister's Award: Mazroc. Co., Ltd.
- Director-General for Technology Policy Coordination and Industrial and Product Safety's Award: Suzubun Co., Ltd.
- Excellent Award (Committee Award): Niigata Investment Casting Co., Ltd.
[Large Retailer Category]
- Director-General for Technology Policy Coordination and Industrial and Product Safety's Award: Osaka Gas Marketing Co., Ltd.
[Small & Medium Retailer Category]
- METI Minister's Award: Daiichi-Denkasha Co., Ltd.
- Director-General for Technology Policy Coordination and Industrial and Product Safety's Award: Kaino Denki Corporation
- Special Award (Committee Award): Nissenken Quality Evaluation Center
[Online Shopping Mall Operator Category]
- Special Award (Committee Award): Mercari, Inc.