Announcement of the Result of the Call for the FY2020 Tertiary Supplementary Budget's Asia Digital Transformation (ADX) Promotion Project
August 3, 2021
1. Digital transformation accelerated in Asia
- As economic development progresses, emerging Asian nations (ASEAN countries and India) are facing various economic and social challenges, and are experiencing a rapid expansion of business based on the use of digital technologies in solving those challenges. In addition, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, face-to-face communication needs to be minimized. Against this background, the need to publicly promote business-based digital transformation (DX) and accelerate the digitalization of the economy and society is a critical policy issue for emerging Asian nations.
2. Outline of the project
- This project aims to support Japanese companies by conducting pilot projects based on contributing to solving local social challenges through collaboration with ASEAN and Indian companies. The projects will utilize technologies, expertise, and other assets that Japanese companies possess. The project's objectives are to publicly promote the realization of DX, and at the same time, actively contribute to both the further study of measures for spreading DX in cooperation with the governments and industries in ASEAN and India, and to establishing the systems necessary to maximize the potential of solving social challenges through DX.
- From May 25 (Tue.) to June 15 (Tue.), 2021, JETRO opened a call and examined the 45 applications that it received. As a result, it has adopted 17 projects from a wide variety of fields, including medical/nursing care, transportation/mobility, and agriculture/fisheries. (Click here for a related page on the JETRO website)
* This project will be implemented utilizing funds allocated by METI to the AEM-METI Economic and Industrial Cooperation Committee (AMEICC). The funding was established under the FY2020 Tertiary Supplementary Budget. AMEICC commissioned the project to JETRO. As the organizing secretariat, JETRO has been opening calls, adopting projects, and supporting successful applicants in undertaking their projects.
Reference: New development of ASEAN-Japan cooperation on digital innovation
The AEM-METI Consultations held in August last year saw the launch of the Dialogue for Innovative and Sustainable Growth,* which will involve participants from industry, academia, and government from Japan and the ASEAN countries. Five webinars have been held to date, covering digital technologies and various other themes. Topics discussed include concrete measures to simultaneously achieve both sustainable economic growth and the further strengthening of growth capability through innovation achieved by cooperation between ASEAN and Japan.
In addition to a wide range of people in industry, academia, and government with expertise related to ASEAN, project operators selected in the last call have also appeared as speakers. The website also has interviews with the selected project operators. For more information, see the DISG website. (Click here for the DISG website)
* Dialogue for Innovative and Sustainable Growth
- From May 17 (Mon.) to June 16 (Wed.), 2021, JETRO opened a call and examined 17 applications that it received. As a result, it adopted 8 projects from a wide variety of fields, including medical care, agriculture/food, education, and drone technology.
Reference: Japan-India cooperation in the digital field
- The Japan-India Digital Partnership Symposium held on January 27 this year introduced use cases of Indian digital human resources and some of the latest examples of ADX, and experts discussed various expectations and possibilities regarding future Japan-India cooperation. This has helped create new collaboration projects as well. (Click here for the Japan-India Digital Partnership archive [in Japanese])
Division in Charge
Asia and Pacific Division, Trade Policy Bureau
Southwest Asia Office, Trade Policy Bureau