January 10, 2023
Joint Press Release with MLIT, MHLW, and MEXT
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT), the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW), and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) announced 27 individuals (8 projects) as winners of the Prime Minister's Prize for the Ninth Monodzukuri Nippon Grand Awards.
METI also decided on 203 individuals and two organizations (41 projects) as winners of the METI Minister's Prize and the Excellence Prize.
1. Outline of the Monodzukuri Nippon Grand Award
The Monodzukuri Nippon Grand Award is a program to recognize outstanding individuals from various generations engaged in monodzukuri (manufacturing). Winners can be mid-career individuals playing key roles in manufacturing and production, masters supporting traditional or cultural arts, or young people expected to play leading roles in the future of monodzukuri. The award has been jointly organized by METI, MLIT, MHLW, and MEXT since 2005 and took place for the ninth time this year.
The four organizing ministries decided on 27 individuals (8 projects) as winners of the Prime Minister's Prize. In addition to these winners, METI selected 59 individuals and one organization (13 projects) as winners of the METI Minister's Prize, and 144 individuals and one organization (28 projects) as winners of the Excellence Prize.
2. Major award-winning projects (winners of the Prime Minister's Award, only 2 related to the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry are listed)
- Digital Revolution of Parts Procurement in the Manufacturing Industry "meviy”
[Company]: MISUMI Group Inc.
- Development of the hinotori™ Surgical Robot System, the first made-in-Japan robotic assisted surgery system
[Company]: Medicaroid Corporation and Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd.
3. Future scheduleAn award ceremony for the Prime Minister's Prize will be held in mid-January followed by a ceremony for METI Minister's Prize late January.
Logo of the Monodzukuri Nippon Grand Award
Commemorative medal for the Prime Minister's Prize
Division in Charge
Manufacturing Industries Policy Office, Manufacturing Industries Bureau