May 18, 2023
On May 18, 2023, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) held a meeting at the Prime Minister's Office in order to discuss approaches that are necessary to attract human and financial resources from overseas, and stimulate investment in Japan in the fields of semiconductors and next-generation computing, which are indispensable for establishing green transformation (GX), digital transformation (DX), and economic security. Mr. Kishida Fumio, Prime Minister, and Mr. Nishimura Yasutoshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, exchanged views with senior executives of global companies in these fields.
This meeting brought together the following senior executives.
- Dr. Mark Liu, Executive Chairman, TSMC
- Mr. Pat Gelsinger, Chief Executive Officer, Intel Corporation
- Mr. Sanjay Mehrotra, Chief Executive Officer, Micron Technology, Inc.
- Dr. Kye Hyun Kyung, Chief Executive Officer, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Dr. Prabu G Raja, President, Semiconductor Products Group, Applied Materials, Inc.
- Dr. Darío Gil, Senior Vice President and Director of IBM Research, IBM
- Mr. Max (Masoud) Mirgoli, Executive Vice President, IMEC
These executives of the global companies explained the importance of semiconductors as components bolstering AI and other cutting-edge technologies, and stated their intention to embark on proactive efforts in Japan.
Minister Nishimura mentioned the strong expectations and responsibility that Japan receives in the fields of semiconductors and next-generation computing and, concerning the proposals that they offered, stated that Japan would discuss how it could provide firm cooperation and support and that it would make efforts to ensure that the Japanese semiconductor industry leads the world.
Prime Minister Kishida welcomed participating companies’ proactive statements about their investment in Japan and stated that Japan would seek to further expand foreign direct investment in Japan and provide support to the semiconductor industry.
- Press Release by Prime Minister’s Office: Exchange of Views with the Senior Executives of the Global Semiconductor Companies (May 18, 2023)
Divisions in Charge
- IT Industry Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau
- Investment Facilitation Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau