Joint Statement on Renewable Energy Partnership Issued with the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero of the United Kingdom
May 18, 2023
On May 18, 2023, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (DESNZ) of the United Kingdom issued a Joint Statement on Renewable Energy Partnership.
On May 18 (Thur.), 2023, METI and DESNZ issued a Joint Statement on Renewable Energy Partnership, aiming to fortify collaboration in renewable energy with a shared commitment to ensuring energy security and accelerating the clean energy transition.
The following is an outline of the joint statement.
- Increasing renewable energy development and deployment (reaffirming G7’s commitment: increasing offshore wind capacity of 150GW by 2030 and solar photovoltaic (PV) to more than 1TW by 2030)
- Encouraging Japan-UK business collaboration in both nations, and together in third countries
- Promoting cooperation to ensure resilient and sustainable critical mineral supply chains needed for clean energy technologies (information sharing, environmental, social and governance (ESG) standards, etc.)
- Promoting cooperation in developing business environments for perovskite solar cells, e.g., development of international standards
- Facilitating cooperation for offshore wind power generation (sharing experience and knowhow, etc.)
- Encouraging British and Japanese researchers and research organizations to evaluate and advise on the policies of Japan and the UK
- Sharing information on policies and so forth through Japan-UK dialogues (policy dialogues on energy and climate change, etc.)
- Promoting cooperation in the field of renewable energy in multilateral fora
- Joint Statement between Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan and Department for Energy Security and Net Zero of the United Kingdom on Renewable Energy Partnership(PDF:98KB)
Divisions in Charge
- International Affairs Division, Commissioner's Secretariat, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy
- New and Renewable Energy Division, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Department, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy
- Mineral and Natural Resources Division, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy