August 25, 2023
On August 25 (Fri.), 2023, the 5th CEFIA Government-Private Forum was held in Bali, Indonesia, (hosted by the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Government of Indonesia). At the beginning of the forum, Mr. Nakatani Shinichi, State Minister of METI, delivered an address in person as METI's representative.
Stakeholders from governments, companies, financial institutes, and other entities of Japan and the ASEAN countries participated in the forum. Participants held active discussions on cooperation projects between Japan and ASEAN countries toward implementing decarbonizing technologies, cross-cutting efforts for financing, avoided emissions, and foster entrepreneurs, and digital energy management. In addition, a business matching event was held between participating Japanese companies and industrial associations and ASEAN companies.
1. The 5th CEFIA Government-Private Forum
(1) CEFIA (Cleaner Energy Future Initiative for ASEAN) is an initiative proposed by the Government of Japan to advance the dissemination of decarbonizing technologies and establishment of related policies and systems under the leadership of businesses with the aim of promoting decarbonization and energy transition in the ASEAN region. It began in September 2019.
(2) On August 25, 2023, the 5th CEFIA Government-Private Forum was held jointly with the ASEAN Energy Business Forum (AEBF) 2023 and seminar hosted by JETRO Jakarta Office. Stakeholders from governments, companies, financial institutes, and other entities of Japan and the ASEAN countries participated in the forum.
(3) At the forum, representatives of participating companies engaging in specific projects (flagship projects) that have been conducted under CEFIA explained the current state of the activities involving the projects. In addition, Japanese companies explained green data centers, smart transport, perovskite-type solar cell , hydrogen, and other related technologies and also made a briefing on cross-cutting efforts for mobilization of finance for decarbonization, avoided emissions and fostering entrepreneurs in the cleantech. Moreover, participants held discussions on smart and integrated energy management in the industrial, commercial, and building sectors.
2. State Minister Nakatani delivering opening remarks
At the beginning of the forum, State Minister Nakatani delivered an address as a representative of the Government of Japan. He explained that Japan would execute global leadership in green transformation (GX) and that it has been making joint efforts with other Asian countries toward effective energy transitions to realize the Asia Zero Emissions Community (AZEC) concept. In addition, he also stated that it is important for governments and the industrial players to collaborate in advancing efforts to realize the AZEC concept and that CEFIA as well will contribute to the collaboration as a public-private initiative.
3. Forum highlights
(1) Session II-1: Presentation on the flagship projects
Presentations were made on the progress in and the next steps of the following flagship projects that CEFIA has been working on to introduce decarbonizing technologies: RENKEI (“RENKEI Control”: energy efficiency through power optimization at factories, etc., using the IoT), ZEB (Net Zero Energy Buildings), SteelEcosol (energy saving at steel plants by promoting the adoption of “Best Available Energy-saving Technologies”), air-conditioning systems (introduction of AC systems striking a balance between energy saving and comfort), and biomass (utilization of biomass power generation and biochar).
(2) Session II-2: Presentation on new cutting-edge technologies
Presentations were made to explain case examples in ASEAN economies in which Japanese companies’ new cutting-edge technologies have been introduced and utilized, including efforts in the ASEAN region for energy saving in data centers, smart transport, perovskite-type solar cell, and hydrogen.
(3) Session III: Presentation on cross-cutting efforts
Presentations were made to explain cross-cutting efforts that are considered to be commonly important in all projects, including efforts for mobilizing finance for decarbonizing projects, avoided emissions, and foster entrepreneurs in the cleantech.
(4) Session IV: Panel discussion on smart and integrated energy management in the industrial, commercial, and building sectors
The session brought together representatives of governments, companies and financial institutes of Japan and the ASEAN countries. Participants focused on smart and integrated energy management in the industrial, commercial, and building sectors . They held discussions on support measures that have been provided by the governments under policy frameworks and regulations, challenges that companies face in developing business, ideal approaches to collaboration that the public and private sectors should take, and roles that CEFIA should play.
(5) Business matching event
CEFIA and the JETRO Jakarta Office jointly held a business matching event. Representatives of the companies that participated in the forum explained new technologies and related products to the governments and companies in Japan and the ASEAN countries, and participants made the most of the opportunity for networking.
CEFIA will continue to develop these efforts in order to contribute to decarbonization and energy transitions in ASEAN.
Division in Charge
Global Environmental Affairs Office, Industrial Science, Technology and Environment Policy Bureau