Outline of Unfair Competition Prevention Act
The Unfair Competition Prevention Act regulates infringement of trade secrets, unfair usage of a well-known sign, misleading representation regarding the place of origin, imitation of the configuration of a third party’s product, etc.
- What is the Unfair Competition Prevention Act? (PDF:124KB)
- The overview on the Act (PDF:116KB)
- The English version of the Act (jump to external link)
Revision of Unfair Competition Prevention Act
In order to improve utilization of “data”, which can be an essential resource for company growth, METI revised the Unfair Competition Prevention Act in May 2018 toward efficient provision and utilization of data.
- Overview regarding the revision of the Act in May 2018
- Defining the acts of unfair competition on “Protected Data” and providing civil remedies against the acts
- Enhancing regulation against the acts circumventing Technological Restriction Measures
- The brochure on the revision of the Act in 2018 (PDF:93KB)
- The summary of the revision history of the Act (since 2000)(PDF:103KB)
About Trade Secret
The Unfair Competition Prevention Act provides civil and criminal remedies in such cases where secret information of the company is stolen or disclosed illegaly. To protect information according to the Act, companies need to manage such data as “trade secrets”.
- Three requirements of trade secrets are as follows:
Press releases and related information
- Cabinet Decision on the Relevant Cabinet Orders for the Partial Enforcement of the Act of Partial Revision of the Unfair Competition Prevention Act, etc.(December 28, 2018)
Contact our office
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the Unfair Competition Prevention Act.
- E-MAIL : email@example.com
- TEL : +81-3-3501-3752
- Intellectual Property Policy Office
- Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau