Date:April 15 (Sat.) and April 16 (Sun.), 2023
Sapporo Prince Hotel, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Participating Countries and Organizations
G7 member countries:
Japan (G7 Presidency), Canada, EU, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, the United States
Invited countries and organizations:
India (G20 Presidency), Indonesia (ASEAN Presidency), United Arab Emirates (COP28 Presidency)
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
International Energy Agency (IEA)
International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)
OverviewThe G7 Ministers’ Meeting on Climate, Energy and Environment in Sapporo will be held ahead of the G7 Hiroshima Summit.
Solving Climate, Energy and Environment issues at the same timeMembers will discuss the global promotion of Green Transformation (GX), and transform the entire economic, social and industrial structure to be driven by clean energy to pursue net zero, circular and nature positive economies in an integrated manner.
We will also advance discussion from various perspectives including those of countries, cities, subnational, industries, business and lifestyles, in order to promote concrete actions in all sectors and by all stakeholders.
We will discuss the response to the current energy crisis, including significant price increase, due to the recent international situation.
- G7 Climate Energy and Environment Ministers Communiqué 2023(PDF:475KB)
- Annex-The Terms of Reference for the G7-Alliance on Nature Positive Economies(PDF:177KB)*On page 3, the phrase “on Nature Positive Economies” has been removed on April 18, 2023
- Annex-Circular Economy and Resource Efficiency Principles (CEREP)(PDF:197KB)
- Annex-G7 Conclusions IDA(PDF:255KB)
- Annex-Principles of High Integrity Carbon Markets(PDF:174KB)
- Annex-Five Point Plan for Critical Minerals Security(PDF:251KB)
- Annex-G7 Inventory on Climate Disaster Risk Reduction_ Response and Recovery(ICDR4)(PDF:152KB)
- Annex-G7 Roundtable on Subnational Climate Actions(PDF:414KB)
To be updated in due course.
Public Awareness Symposium
- Date: February 12 (Sun.) Venue: Sounkyo (Kamikawa Town, Hokkaido)
- Date: February 25 (Sat.) Venue: Lake Toya (Abuta District, Hokkaido)
- Date: April 15 (Sat.) and April 16 (Sun.) Venue: Sapporo Dome (Sapporo, Hokkaido)
- METI Minister Nishimura and METI State Minister Nakatani Hold Meetings with Ministers and International Organizations’ Heads Participating in the G7 Ministers' Meeting on Climate, Energy and Environment in Sapporo (April 17, 2023)
- G7 Ministers’ Meeting on Climate, Energy and Environment in Sapporo was Held (April 17, 2023)
- G7 Hiroshima 2023 Official Website
- G7 Hiroshima Summit (Prime Minister’s Office of Japan website)
- Hokkaido Government (in Japanese)
- City of Sapporo (in Japanese)
- Japan to foster global cooperation at G7 (March 2023)
Divisions in Charge
- Preparatory Office for the G7 Ministers’ Meeting on Climate, Energy and Environment
- Agency for Natural Resources and Energy