February 16, 2023
On February 16 (Thu.), the 4th CEFIA Government-Private Forum was held in Cebu, Philippines (hosted by the Department of Energy, Government of the Philippines). Mr. Nakatani Shinichi, State Minister of METI, delivered a greeting via video message as METI's representative.
During the forum, participants from governments, companies, financial institutions, and other organizations held active discussions on cooperation projects between Japan and ASEAN countries toward implementing decarbonizing technologies, cross-cutting efforts including those in finance and visualization of GHG emission reductions, and the direction of future efforts.
1. The 4th CEFIA Government-Private Forum
- CEFIA (Cleaner Energy Future Initiative for ASEAN) is an initiative proposed by the government of Japan to advance the dissemination of decarbonizing technologies and establishment of related policies and systems under the leadership of businesses with the aim of promoting energy transition and decarbonization in the ASEAN region. It began in September 2019.
- Held on February 16, the 4th CEFIA Government-Private Forum was attended by representatives from governments and companies in Japan and the ASEAN region, as well as those from financial institutions including the Asian Development Bank. The forum included an introduction of CEFIA's current activities and discussions on cross-cutting efforts including Mobilization of finance for decarbonizing technologies, visualization of GHG emission reductions, and fostering entrepreneurs for cleantech, as well as CEFIA's future direction and other topics.
2. Video message from METI State Minister Nakatani
3. Forum highlights
(1) Session I: Flagship Projects
Announcements were made on progress and next steps for the Flagship Projects that CEFIA is working on to introduce decarbonizing technologies, including RENKEI (“RENKEI Control,” energy efficiency through power optimization at factories, etc. using IoT), ZEB (Net Zero Energy Building), and SteelEcosol (energy efficiency at steel plants by promoting the adoption of “Best Available energy-saving Technologies”). Proposals were also made for new flagship projects, including Healthy and Energy Efficient AC system, Decarbonization of factories, biomass and ammonia.
(2) Session II: Information from ASEAN governments and companies
(3) Session III: Panel discussion on cross-cutting fields
(4) Session IV: Panel discussion on Future of CEFIA
The representatives from Japan and ASEAN who spoke in each session discussed what kinds of new efforts to develop in order for the CEFIA government-public framework to contribute to decarbonization and energy transitions in ASEAN in the future.
CEFIA will continue to develop these efforts in order to contribute to decarbonization and energy transitions in ASEAN based on the suggestions and knowledge gained at the forum.
Division in ChargeGlobal Environmental Affairs Office, Industrial Science, Technology and Environment Policy Bureau