Minister Nishimura Signed a Joint Statement on Nuclear Energy Cooperation with Ms. Agnès Pannier-Runacher, Minister of Energy Transition of France
May 3, 2023
On May 3, 2023, at the meeting between Mr. Nishimura Yasutoshi, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry and Ms. Agnès Pannier-Runacher, Minister of Energy Transition of France, signed a joint statement to further deepen their cooperation.
The France-Japan cooperation that we have maintained for since the agreement of cooperation signed in 1972, in the energy field is rich and benefits both our countries. The joint statement that we have just signed today in the nuclear field is further proof of the quality of this bilateral relationship.
Nuclear energy makes a significant contribution to ensuring global security of supply and achieving carbon neutrality for the planet. With this statement our two countries commit to deepen mutual nuclear cooperation with a strong focus on R&D.
In particular, France and Japan agreed to accelerate exchanges, including support for R&D on:
- safe long-term operation and safety improvement of existing nuclear reactors,
- steady and efficient decommissioning of nuclear power plants, including enhancing industrial cooperations for the decommissioning of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station,
- the improvement of nuclear energy capacity building in embarking countries,
- the promotion of the reprocessing policy that minimizes waste and reduces the need for natural uranium
- next-generation advanced reactors, especially on Sodium-cooled Fast Reactor (SFR).
- Déclaration conjointe sur la Coopération dans le domaine de l'énergie nucléaire Entre le ministre de l'économie, du commerce et de l'industrie du Japon et la Ministre de la Transition Energétique de la France (in French)(PDF:105KB)
- Joint Statement on Nuclear Energy Cooperation Between the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan and the Minister of Energy Transition of France(PDF:39KB)