IAEA Officials and International Experts to Visit Japan on a Comprehensive Mission to Review the Discharge of ALPS Treated Water from TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station into the Sea
May 26, 2023
From May 29 to June 2, the IAEA officials and international experts will visit Japan on a comprehensive mission to review the discharge of the ALPS treated water from TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (FDNPS) into the sea.
It is a mission to conclude (1) a review of the safety of ALPS treated water, (2) a review of regulatory process and management, and (3) an independent sampling data corroboration analysis, that were conducted to date, in preparation for issuance of a comprehensive report prior to the start of the discharge of ALPS treated water into the sea.
Based on the comprehensive review mission, the IAEA will publish a comprehensive report in the first half of this year which will include its final conclusions of the review before the discharge into the sea.
- The IAEA Published a Report on Its Second Review Mission of Safety Aspects of Handling of ALPS Treated Water at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station in November 2022 (April 6, 2023)News Release
- The IAEA Published a Report on "IAEA’s Independent Sampling, Data Corroboration, and Analysis Activities" from Its Review of Safety Related Aspects of Handling ALPS Treated Water at TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (January 4, 2023)News Release
- The IAEA Published a Report on Its February Review Mission of Safety Aspects of Handling of ALPS Treated Water at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (April 29, 2022)News Release
- Portal Site for ALPS Treated Water (METI website)
- ALPS Treated Water (IAEA website)
Division in Charge
Nuclear Accident Response Office, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy