1. Home
  2. FAQ


Q1. How do I obtain information about a certain company or a particular product to export to or import from Japan?


The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) provides up-to-date information about Japanese economic developments, trade and investment to help foreign companies who are interested in the Japanese market. Much of the information is available in English and is provided free of charge. JETRO also provides consulting services on trade, investment and business practices at no cost.

The URL of JETRO is as follows:
http://www.jetro.go.jpExternal Site Link

Q2. How do I obtain trade statistics?


Trade Statistics of Japan is issued by the Ministry of Finance. The URL is as follows:
http://www.customs.go.jp/toukei/info/index_e.htmExternal Site Link

Q3. How do I obtain information on Japanese economic trends, trade, industry, technology, market developments, and business practices?


The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) has built an excellent reputation on its ability to supply accurate and up-to-date information on economic developments in the global economy.
JETRO provides information on Japanese economic trends, trade, industry, technology, market developments, and business practices. In addition, it publishes guides to entering the Japanese market and materials on governmental regulations and the investment environment. Much of this information is in English and is provided free of charge to foreign companies interested in exporting to or investing in Japan.
The URL of the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) is as follows:
http://www.jetro.go.jpExternal Site Link

Q4. Where do I go to find fundamental statistics on the state of Japan?


The Statistics Bureau and the Statistics Center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications play a key role in the Japanese statistical system. The URL of the Statistics Bureau & Statistics Center is as follows:
http://www.stat.go.jp/english/index.htmExternal Site Link

The Statistics Bureau is responsible for coordinating the statistical activities of different ministries and agencies, and for producing fundamental statistics on the state of the nation by carrying out major censuses and sample surveys, such as the Population Census and the Establishment and Enterprise Census.

The Statistics Center is responsible for tabulating the returns of the censuses and the surveys of not only the Statistics Bureau but also other ministries and agencies, if so requested.

In addition, there are links to other statistical agencies on the website of the Statistics Bureau and Statistics Center that enables you to link to governmental institutions, other Japanese entities as well as international organizations and other overseas statistical offices. You can access these direct links at the following address:
http://www.stat.go.jp/english/info/148.htmExternal Site Link

Q5. What should I do if I'd like to set up a link to the METI website?


Basically you are free to set up a link, and there is no charge. However, we would appreciate your informing us of:

  1. the purpose for which you intend to use the information on the METI website and
  2. the parts of the METI website that you intend to set up links with.

Please clearly indicate that the source of the website is METI, and if you plan to set up more than one link to different parts of the METI website, please inform us each time.
Please also read our"Terms of Use".

Q6. Sometimes I have problems trying to view or print out documents provided by PDF files on your website. What should I do to avoid such difficulties?


If you have any difficulty in reading documents, please download "Adobe®Reader®." It is better to download "Asian Font Packs"
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.htmlExternal Site Link

Q7. Where can I obtain METI publications in English?


You can purchase them from the Government Publications Service Center.

Address: 1-2-1 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo Japan
Tel: +81-3-3504-3885 Fax: +81-3-3504-3889

For more information, please visit the following URL:
http://www.gov-book.or.jp/asp/EngPub/EngBookList/?op=1External Site Link

Q8. How do I obtain information about the current situation concerning computer viruses and countermeasures in Japan?


The Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) is an incorporated administrative agency which deals with IT security problems and the development of standard programs.
The Information-technology Security Center (ISEC) in IPA works as a core organization for IT security, providing information and countermeasures about computer virus incidents and damage resulting from unauthorized computer access.

The URL of IPA is as follows:
http://www.ipa.go.jp/index-e.htmlExternal Site Link