METI contributes to achieving the improvement of corporate value and the vitalization of the economy through providing a Government Inquiry Desk against counterfeit and pirated goods, and the evaluation and utilization of intellectual assets as “intangible strengths” of companies.
This office accepts requests for consultations on counterfeit and pirated goods from Japanese right holders; mainly from companies that are operating overseas.
This website explains a variety of policies for and provides information on approaches that companies can take to improve their management through evaluation, utilization and public relations activities related to their intellectual assets.
Click the following site to visit the website exclusively for Intellectual Asset-Based Management Week 2019 (latest version).
This Act aims to regulate “unfair competition,” including infringement of trade secrets, unauthorized use of well-known marks, false indications of places of origin and sales of dead copies of products, and also to stipulate acts prohibited based on international agreements and thereby contribute to the sound development of the national economy.
- The World's First Manga Explaining AI/IoT Examination Guidelines (April 5, 2021)
- Japan and Vietnam Sign MOC on Cooperative Measures against Counterfeit Goods (April 2, 2021)
- Commencement of the Patent Prosecution Highway Program between Japan and Morocco (March 25, 2021)
- Cabinet Decision on the Bill for the Act of Partial Revision of the Patent Act and Other Acts (March 2, 2021)
- Numerical Limit to Japan-Brazil PPH Requests to be Relaxed (January 4, 2021)
- JPO Announces New Web-Based Application “Smooth Document Preparer” - Supporting Users in Preparation of Applications and Other Documents (December 18, 2020)
- Winner of JPO Commissioner’s Awards Determined under FY2020 Patent Contest and Design Patent Contest (December 14, 2020)
- Japan to Be France’s First Partner for Patent Prosecution Highway Program (November 27, 2020)
- Graphic Image Design Successfully Registered under the Design Act for the First Time in Japan (November 9, 2020)
- Two Building Designs and Two Interior Designs Successfully Registered under the Design Act for the First Time in Japan(November 2, 2020)
- Users' Positive Assessment of Examination Quality Increases (September 28, 2020)
- Panel Exhibition on “Nobel Prizes and Patents” to be Held (September 28, 2020)
- Demo Day under the IP Acceleration Program for Startups (IPAS2019) to be Held (August 28, 2020)
- Recent Trends in AI-related Inventions (July 27, 2020)
- The 13th IP5 Heads of Office Meeting Held (July 22, 2020)
- Fifteen Startups Selected as Recipients of Support Measures under the FY2020 IP Acceleration Program for Startups (IPAS2020) (July 21, 2020)
- A Series of IP Events for Assisting Businesses Called “Chizai no Mikata - Itinerant Patent Office-” to be Held Across Japan (July 15, 2020)
- Release of Japan Patent Office Annual Report 2020 (July 14, 2020)
- Agreement Reached to Inaugurate ASEAN-Japan Patent Experts Meeting(July 9, 2020)
- FY2020 Anti-Counterfeiting Campaign to be Held(July 1, 2020)
- Call for Expert Applicants for Supporters of Startups under IP Acceleration Program for Startups (IPAS2020) to Open(June 8, 2020)
- “2019 Knowledge Collection of the Project for Dispatching IP Strategy Designers to Universities - Toward Creation of Innovations from Unknown IP of Universities -” Released(May 26, 2020)
- The JPO Acquires Patent Right for System for Searching Patent Documents(May 11, 2020)
- JPO Publishes Collection of Case Examples of Leading SMEs Taking Advantage of IP in Managing their Business, Titled “Rights”(April 30, 2020)
- Call for Applicants for the IP Acceleration Program for Startups (IPAS2020) to Open(April 30, 2020)
- “Fourteen Challenges that Startups Tend to Face and Measures for Overcoming the Challenges Based on the JPO’s Awareness through its IP Support Measures” Released (April 8, 2020)
- JPO Status Report 2020 Released (March 31, 2020)
- Internal Restructuring to Enhance Measures against Counterfeit Goods (March 27, 2020)
- Examples of Design-Driven Management in Leading Companies Compiled (March 23, 2020)
- JPO Strengthens Cooperative Activities in IP Fields to Help Achieve Sustainable Economic Growth in African Countries (February 21, 2020)
- New Support page Opens on JPO Website to Assist Personnel in Charge of IP (January 14, 2020)
Division in Charge
- Intellectual Property Policy Office, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau
- Anti-Counterfeit Office, International Cooperation Division, Japan Patent Office